- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: 69 Olds 455 in 1964 Buick Wildcat

69 Olds 455 in 1964 Buick Wildcat

Hey guys...

I almost feel like this is sacrelidge by even asking this year... but I have the chance to get a well preserved 64 Buick Riviera Wildcat, with a bad motor and bad transmission (motor is a 401). Now, while I do fully intend to keep the motor and transmission in the garage, and eventually put it back in the car... I would really like to enjoy this car NOW.

That said, I've got a 1969 Oldsmobile 455 big block with a lot done to it. Joe Mondello cam, "C" heads, huge intake and exhaust valves (even larger than what came on the 68 Hurst Olds), nodular crank, TRW forged pistons with a .030 overbore, and a bunch of other great stuff.

So... this motor is sitting all pretty on an engine stand, and I know it's awkward to drop an Olds motor into a Buick, but I'd really like to drive this car around and it all depends on whether or not this motor will fit in it. So there's my question... will a 1969 Oldsmobile Big Block fit into a 1964 Buick Riviera Wildcat? And with that, will it be able to bolt up to the existing Th-400? It's damaged apparently, but I'm guessing it's probably a switch pitch and I figure if I can rebuild that I will. Otherwise, I don't mind getting a late model BOP Th-400.

Let me know...

Here's my motor in case anyone cares:

Oh yeah, I have since cleaned up the garage! hah....

Thanks guys...
    Last edited by Todd82TA; 07-15-2008 at 05:08 AM.

1st. off a '64 Riv should have come with a 425 stock. 2nd. the original '64 trans. was a TH400 but not a switch pitch in the 1st. year. Motor mounts & locations are totally different, including the way they bolt to the frame. The trans. bellhousing is totally different. You will need a center sump oil pan. I don't know if the Olds engines had a center sump. If you look over, under around & through this will be a pretty extensive undertaking. Not saying it can't be done. It all depends upon your fabrication skills. Anything can be done given the proper input & tenacity.
    Just my thoughts.

Tom T.

I am currently undertaking this type of project right now. I am installing a 74 Buick 455 into my 64 lesabre. I had to get rid off the blown 300 ci. I had no problem mounting the ST400 to the 455, but the nailhead trans are a different bellhousing I think. I purchased a set of frame mounts from TA Performance. I believe they are Part # TA 1820b. they do sit further forward on the crossmember. I have yet to weld them in, because I do not feel comfortable welding something that might end up in my lap if I mess them up. I plan on fabricating my own exhaust so I do not know if the stock manifolds will fit. The rear sump oil pan will fit, if you use the TA frame mounts. It does sit considerably higher so a low profile air cleaner will probably have to be used. I plan on converting to an electric water pump, and electric fans to get the radiator to fit in the stock location. Any other questions feel free to ask.
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...2/100_1383.jpg
    Last edited by kimb82; 07-15-2008 at 08:18 PM.

I had no problem mounting the ST400 to the 455

the 300 has the BOP bell housing just like the 340/350/400/430/455 all do. the Nail trans bell is different.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Yeah, I'm hoping I don't have to do too much fab work. I've got a spare th400 if I need it.

I actually have a Toronado intake on it, so it should clear. I've also got all of the Toronado accessories too, so if it sits further forward, I should still be able to get everything to fit easily.

We'll see if I get the car. if I can get it, then I'm going to go for it.

Thanks!!!