- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Valve seals or brake work? (long)

Valve seals or brake work? (long)

I know, it's been a really long time since I've posted . . .

Anyway, I have a 1962 LeSabre with 72K miles, which is currently my daily driver (premium gas and crappy mileage -- yay!). About a month ago, I noticed an intermittent exhaust issue: at warm idle at long stop lights, there would be great clouds of white-ish smoke coming from both the passenger side pipe and the tailpipe. Also, the sound of the idle would change a bit (I can't exactly describe it, only to say it was different). This also happens when I am making tight turns (especially rught turns, but she doesn't discriminate) at very low speed (such as in parking lots). Returning to speed would correct the issue. Prior to this, the only other exhaust problem I've had was a bit of smoke on hard acceleration or steep hills.

So I changed the oil (or, more appropriately, I had to have someone do it for me, because there was winter road-salt crud on the drain plug and my weak little girl arms couldn't break the stupid thing loose ), and put in a heavier weight of oil and some Lucas (following advice of others who have had similar problems). The problem cleared up for a couple of days, but came back. At this point, I noticed that the great clouds of exhaust smelled really funky (not like regular exhaust, not like burning oil, not like the oil on the dipstick, not like coolant, not like any of the many fluids I carry arond in a milk crate in my trunk). I couldn't take it any more, so on Thursday I changed the oil again, to Rotella 10w30 with no additives (this time I did get the plug loose all by myself). This has helped in a general way -- she certainly runs better, and the exhaust problem is less frequent (but it hasn't totally stopped).

At this point, I believe there are two paths I could follow, and I only like to change one thing at a time.

1. So do I go for valve seals next? I've done a little research here and on other forums, and I understand that it's not too difficult a job. I've read that my year may or may not have come with valve seals in the first place, but Napa does stock them. Is this something I can do myself in a day in my driveway with a basic set of tools (everything an owner of a 46-year-old car needs) and a Chilton's. And, if I do this, is there anything else (other than the obvious cleaning) I should do while I have the valve covers off?

2. Note: this one is a wild idea right off the top of my head, and may be totally unfounded. I have brake problems. The shoes and drums are in good shape, and they have been recently adjusted, but I go through astonishing amounts of brake fluid in my teeny-tiny master cylinder, and I can't find the leak. I wonder if, through the magic of vacuum hoses, brake fluid is being sucked into the exhaust and making the aforementioned great clouds of very funky smells. It wouldn't really account for the idle problems, though, unless brake fluid was reaching the combustion chambers.

Suggestions? Instructions? Alternate theories? Something I missed? Yes, I know I need to do both projects, but this is my daily driver and I can only do one at a time (not to mention that I put all my money in the gas tank).

Thanks for any guidance you can give,

Maggie

Without removing the brake line from the Brake Master Cylinder, remove the 2 nuts holding it to the power booster. If there is ANY brake fluid present the master & booster are N/G. Both will need to be rebuilt or replaced with known good parts. Or, locate a used master & booster & have them rebuilt 1st. Since this is a daily driver, then all you will need to do is a swap.
    This may alleviate your weird running problems. So this needs to be done 1st. The 1st. yr. the "Nail" used valve stem seals was 1966 & this was on the intakes only. The seals NAPA lists won't fit dual valve springs as the "Nails" have. So, NO, it's not a 1 day job.
    Hope this helps in some way Maggie.

Tom Telesco