- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: intermittent surging

would a tank from a '75-'76 Olds 98 fit my car?, I have a chance to get a good one for free.could I use my current sending unit in the other tank?

No

Your tank = GM 40-G

Olds tank = GM 40-D

Quote Originally Posted by Flynbuick View Post
    No

Your tank = GM 40-G

Olds tank = GM 40-D
    that's what I was afraid of, this guy also has a '76 limited 2 door hardtop ,and a '76 limited 4 door hardtop, I should be able to grab one of those. but before I take the tank clear out, I'm gonna change the fuel filter in the carb, and inspect the hoses, maybe I'll get lucky,and not have to completely pull the tank

*update: I replaced the fuel filter , and I cut it in half, it had a grayish appearance inside, is this an indication that I need to drop the tank anyway? hopefully it will be ok, as I have a cruise in this friday at the opening of a new o'reilly store, and I wanna take it out for that
    Last edited by 1976 Electra 225; 04-16-2008 at 11:25 AM.

here's a look at the filter I changed today:carb was rebuilt before I got the car, I've put 138 miles on it so far. so, I'll take it out fri, and then after 50 mi, check the filter again. I may also put an inline filter between the tank,and pump too.

pic is a bit fuzzy, my camera focus was off

Did it sit with a empty tank?if so try methal hydrate first water u no,the gas will eat the jbweld eventually and start to leak again there is no glue that will hold it forever.The new tank is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by hungry View Post
    Did it sit with a empty tank?if so try methal hydrate first water u no,the gas will eat the jbweld eventually and start to leak again there is no glue that will hold it forever.The new tank is a must.
    it had no more than a gallon left in the tank,gauge was on "E". the car sat for 10 years in a metal building before I bought it. sooo, guess I'll get the liquid gold (ga$) out of the old tank, and get another one

well, I have 10 gallons out of it so far, and here's a pic of the sock filter.
    I peeked in thru the sending unit hole, and the inside of the tank is clean, except for a few small dirt flakes floating around. I still have to get the remaining ga$ out of it. once I do, how can I get those dirt flakes out?

Last edited by 1976 Electra 225; 04-23-2008 at 12:23 PM.

update:

finally got the remaining ga$ out of the tank, it looks like new inside, I saw nothing that would have caused this problem. a local mechanic told me to do away with the sock, and put an inline filter between the tank,and pump,should I do this?

No I would not based on this information.

Do you get a steady stream from the fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Flynbuick View Post
    No I would not based on this information.

Do you get a steady stream from the fuel pump?
    I will test that when I get it back together. I finished cleaning the tank out, it's very clean. I'm going to put it back in monday, then filter the fuel thru a paint strainer as I pour it back in the tank. another friend told me that the pump,despite being new could have developed a problem.that's sure a good possibility, since the inside of the tank looked so good. I watched the fuel as it drained from the tank,and I took a sample,and it was clean.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to carry a spare fuel pump, and filters in the car, in case I'd need to do an emergency roadside repair? any other parts I ought to consider ?
    Last edited by 1976 Electra 225; 04-26-2008 at 07:58 PM.