- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: intermittent surging

Question intermittent surging

I had My '76 out for a cruise tonight,when on the way back home it started surging,then died.I got it restarted, then drove about 3 blocks,and it did this same thing again. I got it back home in the garage, and it was ok again. I was thinking that I may need to pour a couple bottles of Heet in the gas tank.
    the carb is a recent rebuild, fuel pump is new. (dist cap,rotor,plugs new, wires were ok) it has never done this in the 139 miles I've put on it so far. (it has 48,982 orig miles as of today) I have a new fuel filter I can also install

I'm thinking it might have some moisture in the tank, as I take it out for a cruise only 1 or 2 times a month

intermittent Surging

I just went through something similar with my 62 Skylark. Turned out to be a fuel line was allowing the fuel pump to suck air into the line. Also I had an additional problem with the floats in the carb not adjusted properly.
    If you have a see through filter, check for air bubbles. Check around the carb for dried fuel from where it may have flooded.
    Bill

the only rubber line I have, is between the line from the tank,and the fuel pump. the carb is a quadrajet. my car has the optional fuel usage guage, and it was moving between the "lo" and "hi" on the gauge as the surging occurred. before I took it out,I did have a bit of trouble as I was warming it up, I couldn't press on the gas, without it trying to stall out. it has never done this to me before.

A gas tank that old may have contaminants that block the pick up tube. To check this the tank and sending unit will have to be removed. Many models do have short rubber lines under the car ot connect the long metal line runs. Check those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynbuick View Post
    A gas tank that old may have contaminants that block the pick up tube. To check this the tank and sending unit will have to be removed. Many models do have short rubber lines under the car ot connect the long metal line runs. Check those too.
    the car was on empty when I got it (just like all the other cars I have bought)

mine does have the short rubber lines at the back, I can check and replace them if needed. I can, if need be just grab another tank from a friend who runs big '74-'76 GM cars like mine in demolition derby's for free.(mine had a small hole,which I patched with JB weld) it will be fun lowering the tank, as it is full of ga$, and at the current price (3.24 locally) I don't want to have to waste any.what would be the easiest way to get the ga$ out?

Do it the way most thieves do...

Siphon:

put a piece of fuel line down the filler and give it a little suck (try not to drink too much, beer is a suitable mouth wash) and put the end into a container. When the container is full, pinch or plug the line and transfere to another container.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Do it the way most thieves do...

Siphon:

put a piece of fuel line down the filler and give it a little suck (try not to drink too much, beer is a suitable mouth wash) and put the end into a container. When the container is full, pinch or plug the line and transfere to another container.
    well, I guess I better go buy a 6 pack of "mouthwash" before I try it

I looked down the carb this afternoon, and it showed no signs of flooding, the inside of the carb looked ok
    Last edited by 1976 Electra 225; 04-06-2008 at 03:11 PM.

It could be the "sock" filter clogged up in the fuel tank as stated earlier and you would need to remove the tank and sending unit to replace this part .HTH good luck .
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by guyopel View Post
    It could be the "sock" filter clogged up in the fuel tank as stated earlier and you would need to remove the tank and sending unit to replace this part .HTH good luck .
    John

looks like I have a fun job ahead of me.that sure could be it, as while the surging was occurring, I couldn't get anything out of it, as when I tried to bring it out of it, it would fall flat, and die. to get it going again, I pressed the pedal to the floor, and it would start. would run fine for a few blocks before doing it again. I'll get some of those paint strainers, so when I put the liquid gold (ga$) back in, I can make sure no dirt gets back in I'll also change the fuel filter in the carb too. can this sock filter be had at auto parts stores like NAPA/O'Reilly etc?
    Last edited by 1976 Electra 225; 04-06-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Yes and at the Buick Dealers , if you have trouble finding it PM me . HTH
    John
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.