- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: '54 322 head bolt coolant leak

'54 322 head bolt coolant leak

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone could shed a bit of light on a leak that just started. I will try to make this short and sweet and I greatly appreciate any and all thoughts you may have.

A little backround first : 1926 T roadster with a 54 322 running 3 97's. Built the car 9 years ago. Engine is completely stock internally. New head gaskets installed 8 years ago. Runs great.

Here's the problem : Took her out for a short cruise on Christmas day. Ran great. Parked her back in the garage. Walked past her yesterday and looked down on the floor in front of the starter and there is small puddle (about 1/2" by 2") on the floor. Coolant. Got out the drop light and found wetness around the 3 head bolts nearest the front of the engine. (the one nearest the front of the head and the next two after it nearest the exhaust ports)

Here are the questions :

1. Should I pull the header & valve cover to retorque all the head bolts, in correct order, to 73 ft/lbs? (the book says torque should be 63 - 73 ft/lbs)

2. Should I pull each bolt that I see leakage around (1 at a time, not all at once) and apply some RTV silicone to the threads then install and torque to 73 ft/lbs? I am hoping the head bolts thread into the water jackets and this where the coolant is coming from. Is this correct or am I "all wet"? HA! A little coolant leak humor for ya.

3. Should I buy a new set of head gaskets and replace the one that is leaking? (I don't see any need to replace both)

Thank you all for looking and any advise you may be able to provide.

Regards, Dave

Except for the 3 head bolts under the rocker arms all the rest are blind holes. Meaning they are not supposed to have water. If too long a head bolt was used in that area it could have cracked the block. Pull the bolts out 1 at a time to see if there is any coolant present. Should not be.

Check the freeze plugs on the head, they like to rust. Also check the gasket on the water manifold on the front of the head. Jim
    J.R. Lemke

I'm going to second Jim on the plugs, I've got 2 engines with all bad freeze plugs. As for the other leaking I've had a similar problem with my Jag and FIAT getting coolant leaks from the head gaskets. I ended up using RTV around the coolant holes on the head gaskets and never had a problem since 2002, both daily drivers. To me, a re-torque would be the first thing I'd try, then new gaskets with RTV. Good luck on it.

Chris

54 Buick Special 41D
    64 Fiat 1500 cabrio
    83 Bertone X1/9
    84 Jag S3 XJ6

Hi Everyone,

I figured I would update this thread in hopes that someone else may get something out of my experience.

Jim was correct. Ding, ding, ding! A cute, cuddley, pink teddy bear off the top shelf for him!!!

The freeze plug near the front of the engine, under the sparkplug cover was the leaker. Those pretty, finned aluminum covers hid the source since they are right next to the header flange. As soon as I removed the cover, the water tracks from the freeze plug were visable then they disappeared under the header flange making it look like the coolant was gathering around the bolts. LOL I honestly should've thought about the freeze plugs myself as I have had to replace 3 of them in the engine blocks between my roadster and my 55 Special.

Thanks guys!

Regards, Dave
    Long live the NAILHEAD!!

1955 BUICK SPECIAL - 264, 4 BARREL, DYNAFLOW
    1926 MODEL T ROADSTER - '54, 322 & THREE 97'S

You know how girls are... If they're bein nice to you, they usually have an angle. - Wally Cleaver