- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Engine Code

Engine Code

Trying to identify the code on the engine in my 64 Riviera. It has the 2 quads but the codes stamped on the front of the engine block are "34" on the passenger side and "6675348" on the driver side. Doesn't seem to jive with any codes I see on this website. Doesn't appear to be any other signs of worn or faded #'s. Any ideas?

neither of those are the 'Engine Code'. engine codes are 2 digits, both of which are letters. the first letter designates the year, the second the engine type.

a 2 x 4v 425 should be coded "KX". http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference...ent_63_75.html

sorry, i don't know where else to tell you to look for these codes if they aren't located here:
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Engine Code

I wonder if it is a Canadian nailhead engine block (if there was such a thing). The valley cover has arrows pointing to these 2 codes (34 6675348).
    There is a posting under Team Buick > BUICK RESTORATION > Buick Decoding and Identification > Canadian Nailhead from "Bob 01/18/2004" which looks like a similar stamping (serial number 38 5692383)

i think you may be right about the 'Canadian' thing:
    http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference...ation_cdn.html

according to that, the # would likely decode like this:
    3 4 6 67 5348
    3 = 1963
    4 = Buick
    6 = Invicta or Wildcat
    67 = 2dr convertible
    5348 = sequential production #, full # would be 005348 as Buick vins for 1963 & 64 started with "00" and these digits normally didn't get carried over to other paperwork/stampings.

the problem is that this also implies a non-original engine. further, the Invicta/Wildcat were never available with a 425 ... and a 401 never had a 2x4v setup. sounds like the original engine blew up and they swapped the intake/carbs to a junk yard motor.

see if you can find someone associated with circle track racing. the tech guys have normally got equipment to measure displacement without an engine teardown (they take out a sparkplug and cycle the cylinder from BDC to TDC and blow that into an instrument). the 401 and 425 have the same stroke so you'll actually have to take the head off to verify the bore size without the circle track connection.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks for the info. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I think you may have hit the nail(head) on the head.