From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: 94 buick lasaber (custom) 3800 v-6 help help help

94 buick lasaber (custom) 3800 v-6 help help help

hi there i am driving my self NUTZ trying to figer out the noise i replaced the ac compressor the water pump the alternator the power steering pumped i dont rally have a clue someone said they think it a timing chain slapping what other prob would a person have that the timing chain got that much play in it im trying to understand it all anyway i replaced all the pulls the shop did the ac anyway any HELP would be WORTH A MILLION BUCKS DARN NEAR 650 BUCKS LATER LOL anyway hope to get some replys with some HELP thanks

I'd say the main possibility is the timing chain, with the balancer/bolt being a remote choice.

If you're over 100k miles, you're probably due to change the timing set. In addition, you'll want to replace the tensioner and the magnet for the Cam Position Sensor. It wouldn't be dumb to change the sensor itself while you're in there. Of course the Crank Position Sensor is right there behind the balancer, so you could apply that logic to that sensor as well.

A bad/stretched timing chain often seems to be followed by a Code 41 error message...which is cam position sensor related.

BTW....the timing chain noise seems to be like a loose piece of rattling tin. That's how it is on my 88 LeSabre T-type.

Assuming you have a high mileage engine, changing all those items isn't a total waste of money. Should be good for another 100k plus miles.

Also you may have a front crankshaft pulley that is broken ( these are in two pieces with rubber to damper the vibrations and the rubber wears out and the two parts start hitting together and makes a loud noise ) . You can take the dr. belt off and start the eng. and see if the noise stops or changes . HTH
    John L.
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

sounds like the dampener, another way to check is to grab the belt on both sides of the crank and pull up and down (enough to rotate the motor). while doing this watch the crank bolt (or even mark it) if the outside ring (where the belt is) moves and the bolt doesn't then the dampener is broken.