From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 252, 231, 225,198, 196
- 225 V-6 Engine Specifications
    - 2 Less = More, Stage II V-6
- The Baker Buick V-6

Thread: Late Model ENGINES

OLe JIM Guest

Late Model ENGINES

Ole JIM here!--& seeing I*M from what You Young Guys refer to as the Ole School--& having just spent several days working on my 2.8 88 Buick in the Rain & hearing all the Woes? from freinds as their NOT Gear Heads! & Dono Crap about any thing Really! I informed Them that all mechanical things DO Fail every once in a while--Especially the Ones w/ over 400,000 miles on Them! as I explained!! this Ole 88 2.8 Buick was a TAXI since it was Brand NEW!--& Seeing Its Got More miles on It than All Your late model Cars put together! & Still in Better Condition than some of Yours I SEE--& I Dono? about YOU??--but-To ME! Whats Wrong? w/ Mine is a Chalange to ME--as the name of the Mechanical GAME! is can I Fix IT? & the Answer to that is--a BIG YES! I CAN --& Heres some Suggestions I received from the I Dono? Galley-- Is it Getting AIR?--well I would think SO!-as were all standing here BREATHING!--is it getting GAS?-So I un-hooked the Fuel Line & Turned the KEY!--& YEH! GAS sprayed Every where!-So I know its Getting plenty of GAS! any other Suggestions?--as I*M all Ears!- is it Getting a Good Spark? well lets See?--I un-hooked a plug wire & stuck a scew driver in it & Turned it Over--YEP! Nice Blue Spark--so Thats Not It!--as I just got OFF the Buick Site on the Internet where ONE of the GUYS suggested it could be Bent Valves? cuased by the Engine Jumped its Timming? as this Broken Hard Plastic timming chain Guide broke OFF & I assume? Fell down into the Lower timming Gear! causing the Chain to Jump w/ a piece of this Hard Plastic when It got between the Chain & the Gear? I DONO? what the Clearances Are ? between the Valves & the Pistons? so I really Dono? until I do a Compression check?--which I*LL Do Tommorrow!--& then I*LL know for Sure if its Bent Valves--aren*t YOU tired of trying to Figure it Out?--NO! as thats what Tinkering is all about-- Finding the Problem & Correcting It!--as its OLD & not worth? spendinng Money On? well I Dono what?its actually Worth? as that to ME is NOT the Point!--how many Miles on Your Newer ONE?--32,000 miles Why? how many times has it been in the Shop being Fixed?--4 or 5 Why? Well this Ole Buick has Never been in a Dealers SHOP!--Except to get a state Inspection Sticker!--& DO YOU exspect your will ever see 400,000 miles? NO! of course NOT--as WE trade when Ours gets 80,000 or So! & get a New One!--is that Your Buick over there? YES! what year is IT?--a 95 Why? how many miles on It? 95,000 Why? NICE CAR--when You DO Trade IT Come & See ME as I*LL give You More for It than a Dealer will!-- YOU like BUICKS? YEH! I guess You could Say That! WHY? Do You think? a BUICKS a Good CAR? NOPE!! I Know BUICKS the BEST! & Way beyond GOOD! & I have had E*M ALL!--well if BUICKS so Great Why Don*t BUICK Race them? YOU ever See a Rolls Royce Racing? NO! WHY? because their the BEST & Don*t have too Prove Any thing to Any Body!--so when YOU Do look for a Newer Car YOU allways look for a BUICK? NO I do look at other Makes--but--I usuallly End UP BUYING a BUICK!--WHY? because I like BUICKS!--just look at the BUICKS even the Cheaper Ones as their a lot Better than Most in that Price Range & the Interiors Better--they Ride Better & get Better Fuel Milage & GO as Fast as Any out there! & hold their VALUE when You Do Trade!--so WHY bother w/ all the Others?--YEH! I see Your POINT!--Enough Said-- Good Night!-Ole JIM--

Jim I replied in the other forum to you ..sorry didn't see this one.I will tell y athe value is up to you.I have a 85 Regal and love it.so the value part of it is a person thing.

Lightbulb

Hey Jim

I had a similar problem with a 2.8 in a '87 S-10 Blazer.

It was in the distributer. It turned out to be a compound problem.

First it was the Module, then it was the magnetic Pick-up.

I replaced the parts, overhauled the Distributor and added another 150,000 k miles to the life of the vehicle which now has over 300,000k on it.

It can sit idle for a week and on the coldest day it starts right up.

Just thought I would share that with you.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

OLe JIM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gallagher View Post
    Hey Jim

I had a similar problem with a 2.8 in a '87 S-10 Blazer.

It was in the distributer. It turned out to be a compound problem.

First it was the Module, then it was the magnetic Pick-up.

I replaced the parts, overhauled the Distributor and added another 150,000 k miles to the life of the vehicle which now has over 300,000k on it.

It can sit idle for a week and on the coldest day it starts right up.

Just thought I would share that with you.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher
    TOM Thanks I appricate IT--as My thing is Fabrcating & Welding--as WE have had the Ole 88 since New & WE realize its not worth much--Dollar wise!--when I think Back to where Me & the 88 has been? through Snow Sleet & Cream of Wheat?--even My wife says Fix IT! the Garage is FULL of Necessary vehicles --so My Buick will have to wait a Spell? & seeing I*M Not much into Fixing whats NOT Broke! Says what a Vehcles Worth never Bothered You Before? as HE re-Minded ME of yrs Ago when I lent my 56 Buick 2 dr hard top to a Neighbor & TOTALED IT--& Ordered a New FRAME & completly restored it to brand New Condition--every Nut & Bolt--My Wifes Favorate CAR!--Our SON had His Car Stolen & WE gave Him Our Buck to Use & a few weeks latter His Garage Burned Down--& the Buick was in IT! but WE bought it from the Insurance CO & installed the Motor & trany in a 57 Ford Pick Up & Gave the Pick Up to a Feind that Needed Wheels! & Now that Its come to Mind I*M going to Call HIM & Ask? what ever happened to it? as that should be Interesting?? Take Care--Ole JIM--