Undercarriage Colors

:waving: Hey Guys,

I have my undercarriage almost completely de-greased and stripped down to bare metal.

I know that the chassis should be painted Chassis black.

I already have the correct engine paint from Bill Hirsch.

What are the correct colors for some of the other parts, such as the Rear Axle, Upgraded Front Sway-Bar, Transmission, Front Suspension Parts, Enclosed Drive-Shaft System ect. :confused:

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

Thanking You for your usual valued cooperation in advance.:app:

Regards,

Tom Gallagher :thumbsup:

Tom, It sounds like you have it all torn apart:jeez: My rear end and drive shaft and front suspension all had the original black paint on them still. I think Gm was pretty lazy about paint and did it all with the chassis black:confused: not positive, but they did in the 70's when I worked for a GM dealership. Have fun on the project. If you here of anyone looking, I'm going to sell my century. Hope your summer is going great:thumbsup: Bill

Hi Tom,

long time - no hear !
Hope you are okay and I am glad your project is coming along great.

Your questions are hard to answer, because it is hard to tell after 50 years and various hands a car has gone through which color might be original...

On my car, axles and chassis parts are black, so is the drive shaft except the "bell" of the torque ball which is bare stainless steel.
Dynaflow torque converter housing is aluminum (uncolored), rest of Dynaflow seems to be uncolored, too, though in the manual it looks as if it was colored. There are patches of green engine paint on the Dynaflow oil pan - do not know if that is original...

Tom, I remember 2 years ago or so, there were pictures of a perfectly restored chassis with drivetrain either on this or on "the other forum" - I should think you can get the color schemes from there !?(see attachment)

Best regards
Kindacool

Last edited:
Back