Question for MartinSr

I am ready to finish the underside of my 66, and will be removing the oil soaked undercoating. I would like to put something else under there that has rust inhibiting qualities and cleans up nicely with soap and water as needed. I have been thinking of spraying on a Eastwoods rust encapsilator, and then topcoating with black acrylic enamel. Do you have any thoughts on this or better solutions?

Thanks - Steve

Steve, I am not a big believer in the "rust encapsulaters" like POR-15 and though I don't know anything about the product you mentioned I would have to assume it is similar. What they mean by "encapsulate" is a nicer way to say "cover up". Do you want to "cover up" rust? It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I have in fact a little experiment with a number of these products to find out exactly what does work better.

If you have metal covered with "oil soaked undercoating" I doubt you have much rust anyway. If you want to end up with a nice finish, sort of like the top of the car. Simply treat it like the top. Remove all the undercoating and sand it well. If there is rust, then clean it out. Then use an acid etching primer like PPG's DX1791 Or S-W E2G973 and then prime it with a black epoxy primer like PPG's DP90LF or S-W PSE4601. After that a urethane or enamel semi gloss black and you have a finish that is going to last longer than you and I will.

This system can paint painted in one afternoon with no sanding in between products, that is one of the beautys of it.
banana.gif

first off, I made one mistake. You would only use these particular etche primers if you were to bare metal. If you where to sand with 180 and have only spots of bare metal go straight to the epoxy. If you have a lot of bare metal S-W E2G980 nor PPG's DT870 or DXP171 would be a better choice.

But 180 or 220 would be fine for any of these primers.

Well, we will just have to see what the wire wheel leaves behind. Thanks for taking the time to list product. You are very helful as always. Here's to undercoating in your eye.
beers.gif

Thanks - Steve

Back