Paint System?

I will be painting my 66 GS in the near future. I trust myself to get it in primer and finish coat the jams and around the inside of the doors and fenders trunk and hood. I have a pal that is good at laying the final coats on the body. There are some patches and areas where bare metal is exposed, but for the most part I am working on top of the original paint.

The last time I painted a complete car was 15 years ago, and we used a Centari enamel system. It came out nice, but I know there are better paints out there now. I think the base coat/clear coat would be nice, but that will take a lot of mixing between base and clear as I am changing the color of the car. I know base/clear can have peeling issues as well. I did the body-work, jams, etc on my 67 and had it finished Emron about 8 years ago. That seems to be a nice paint, and it is holding up, but is kind of pricey now.

I talked to a paint store the other day about recommendations. They suggested the Utec 200 system. It was said to be a very good paint, a tough paint, long lasting, easy to match, had very good shine and could be clear coated on the exterior for even better shine and durability on the outside. Does anyone have any experience with this system, or a better suggestion for me? This is a keeper, so I want to do it right! Thanks

------------------
Steve B.
GSCA #2173 (1986)
67 GS 525 Stg IV
66 GS Convertible
65 GS HT
63 Riv

Steve, I have had a lot of exposer to paint systems and have never heard of the "utec 200" product. I have to assume it is one of the Johnny come lately "economy" paints. I would say, stay away from it, stick with a name brand like DuPont, PPG, etc.

As far as clear coat, I would say if it is a metallic color, use the BC/cc if it is a solid color use a single stage.

------------------
Life long Buick fan,
1965 Gran Sport Conv.
1965 Skylark H/T
1948 Chevy P.U. with 401 in it.

Brian,

The color is vintage metal-flake burgundy. It is a 1964 ford color, and I really liked it on the Riv. It should go nice with the black convertible top and white interior. So, like it or not, I guess it's bc/cc for me. I will probably stay with DuPont since I am sort of familiar with the their line of primers, reducers, paint, etc. Thanks, as always, for your help.

Steve B.

Back