New cam

fueler191

So i found a cam for my 455, and got a great deal on it that i couldnt pass up. But im almost 98% sure that im going to have to do some serious head work and what not. any recomendations what i should do?
the cam is as follows
Isky Part
Number 115128

2500-6500 High performance. Lopey idle. 2500 stall. 3.70-4.11 axle ratio. Up to 750cfm cam. 9.5:1+ compression 467/467 280/280 224/224 108

Its a 73 block and heads built to GM specs as of right now.

thanks
-jeff-

Jeff,

This is an older design in Buick camshaft development. The later designs generally have a split pattern with more duration and lift on the exhaust side. It is not a bad cam, and is mild by comparison. It should definitely give your 455 a kick in the pants. I would guess it would idle about 800 rpm and needs a 2500-3000 stall converter. I also think you would be OK with 3.42-3.55 ratio rear gears if you like. You should be ok without notched pistons and will need 9.5:1 compression as listed. It will pull hard to the 5500 rpm range with stock heads, and head porting would allow more power and elongate the upper rpm range. Your stock rockers and valve train will also be fine with this cam. I would also look at an aftermarket intake (TA or Edelbrock), headers (TA/GSCA/poston/PAE) and 850 cfm carb (I like the Holley).

Last edited:
Thank you very much,you just made my day, i appreciate it. As for the intake im already ahead of ya, i have the dual quad set up from offenhauser with 2inch spacers and 2 500cfm edlebrocks.

thanks again, i dont think i would be able to get this done with out your guys help~ thanks.

The cast hypereutectic pistons would be the cheapest way to go and would hold up well unless you are thinking about N2O or really want to turn up the wick. Poston, PEA, TA and the GSCA all cary these. The are also carrying cheaper (but heavier) forged pistons as well as high end lightweight forged pistons.

Back