New 1968-72 A-body front frames

bob k. mando

Team Member
Afco is making these for the circle track guys running the old Chevelles. but obviously, this will likely have cross application to the other GM A-body models. Restoration techs will likely find these indispensable. and 68-72 covers the hey day of the Stage 1 Skylark ...

https://www.afcodynapro.com/ChevelleFrameReplacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmm2S98t4Z0

[video=youtube;Vmm2S98t4Z0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmm2S98t4Z0[/video]

supposed to match all OEM attachment points, with minor reinforcement for the spring pockets. horns and frame rails will be available as separate pieces for crash repair.

cuz, you know, circle track guys are likely to run into things once in a while.

Bob, that frame looks just like the one under my Regal. In my manual the 79 is listed as an A-body. When I buy parts it's listed as a G-body. I was told that somewhere around 79-80 they changed the designation from A to G. Could these all be the same frame with only minor differences?

1982 GM gave the A body name to the new FWD mid size cars, and the old A went to G. Long story short, those frames are identical.

the 72 A-body frame is the same as a 1982 G-body? are you sure about that?

if so, why wouldn't AFCO list it that way? heck, why wouldn't they list it as cross compatible with an 81 A-body?

68-77 are all 112" wheelbase for the 2 door cars ( except for oddball models like the stretched base Monte or some of the Ponchos ) while 78 and newer are shorter, what we circle track guys refer to as 'metric cars', with 108" wheelbase. so i suppose this could be cross compatible with the 77s, i would really be surprised by anything newer though.

oh, and i should point out that when AFCO says "all OEM attachment points", i'm sure they mean Chevy attachment points. we'll probably need to drill the crossmember for Buick frame pads or other minor variances.

it would still make an excellent starting point though.

No Bob, I was just pointing out that the GM called the mid-size 78-87 autos "A" bodies but in 1982 they switched the class, if you will, to "G" bodies. They moved the name to the new front wheel drive cars introduced then (Buick Century for example). The idea was to kill off the Regal and replace it with the Century, but the public still wanted the "old" A bodies. The series (A) had already been assigned to the new cars, so they switched the old A bodies to G bodies. The 1968-72 A bodies are nowhere near the 1978-87 A/G bodies and no, the frames will not interchange.

What about the ones between 72 and 78 lol.

Here is what I know. When the car was bought in 79 all parts were for the A

Bob I can't edit this thing.

I meant to say until 86-87

See how this works

No Bob, I was just pointing out that the GM called the mid-size 78-87 autos "A" bodies but in 1982 they switched the class, if you will

i appreciate you pointing that info out, the new guys aren't going to know these things.

but that's NOT the part of the statement that i was questioning.

you said this:
"Long story short, those frames are identical."

my question is, exactly WHICH frames are you including in that? you're just saying that an 81 A-body is the same thing as an 82 G-body?

okay, i'm all on board with that. and i'm also on board with the 79 A-body not being the same thing as a 1970 A-body.

but neither one of us is really answering Blaine's question which is:
just exactly HOW MUCH variance is there between a 1970 A-body and a 1979?

if most of the difference is in the length of the side rails ... well, then this would still be very helpful for him.

I was specifically responding to the A/G bodies from 1978 through 1987 and why they changed the body series from A to G. I apologize that I failed to make that clear enough for you and others to understand.

I'll be more careful in the future to clarify my thoughts.

I apologize that I failed to make that clear enough for you and others to understand.

*shrugs*

it's all good. i've put on ~6,600 miles in the last week and a half and i know i get fatigued and loopy after multiple ~12 hr days on the road.

i might could have done a better job of trying to work out what you were saying.

so i guess i'm saying, "I also promise to try to do a better job next time"? :thumbsup:

Back