lowering my '56 special

S

slipknot56

Daddyo - As I read the succession of emails about topchopping and its risks (my own visions of looking like Sylvester Stallone with his merc) also faded. However, your mention of lowering your '55 interested me. I have nearly finished rebuilding my 322, have sandblasted nearly my entire front end, and am not looking forward to having to replace many worn fron t suspension parts. Am wondering what you used to lower it, and whether any substitute entire assembly would fit on my '56. Looking for ideas before I go final. thanks

------------------
Moondoggie

since no body else has answered your question ill tell you what im going to do with my 55 special. right now all 4 springs are heated so im gunna replace them. il cut a few coils off the ones in the back. and in the front i want to get some dropped spindles from fatman fabrications (www.fatmanfab.com) there are also some 2 inch drop kits for the front that bolt right in that you can get from hot rods of norco (www.hotrodsofnorco) they also sell other cool stuff like flamethrower kits. i also need to get a front end rebuild kit from kanter auto parts and new rear shocks. i hope that helps

I put a Jaquar independent front and rear under my 57 Special. Easy and gave me the ability to sit it right on the ground if I want. Jag cars around here can be had for $300-up, and CWI sells a rear crossmember for around $500 if you dont have the means of building one. Jag front is a one piece crossmember that drops out of the car and can be welded directly into the 50's frames with a little mod to the frame. I spent $400 for a a 81 Jag, $75 about 30 hours to build my crossmember, mod my front frame, and have it back on it's wheels.

Back