Just Getting Started Advice

B

Buick_Brat

Hey guys,

I'm a beginner and I've just started the project on my 1970 Skylark Coupe (not a GS). I'm looking for muscle, power, and performance. It currently has a running 350 in it.

Do you have any advice or general suggestions to get me on track? Any preferences, experiences, or advice is appreciated.

Should I get a 455?

-Brat

Originally posted by Buick_Brat:
Hey guys,

I'm a beginner and I've just started the project on my 1970 Skylark Coupe (not a GS). I'm looking for muscle, power, and performance. It currently has a running 350 in it.

Do you have any advice or general suggestions to get me on track? Any preferences, experiences, or advice is appreciated.

Should I get a 455?

-Brat
Depends entirely on the budget! A 455 is a great motor, but it will cost a lot of money to install. If the 350 is old and tired, and needs a rebuild, then you might as well buy the 455 and rebuild it instead (and then throw in some performance goodies)

How much do you wanna spend?

-Bob Cunningham

My budget is around $3000 - $4000 (flexible) for engine and trans. How do you recommend I spend it? Where should I put the money? I've got a cousin who owns a body and paint shop so, the body work will be a breeze. I'm trying to map out a good performance plan.

If the ultimate goal is to go FAST! then you should start with a 455. Many Buick owners are running the TH350, so you can stay with the stock unit until you get more capital.You should be able to build a decent 455 with a cam and some head work for your money. Then as you get financially back on your feet, you can do the exterior things (headers,intake manifold,ignition)

Back