Information Buick Stage One 455

Joray

Hello,
I have a Buick with chassis number: " 4 34 67 1 H " and I would like to know if it's a Stage One 455.

Thank you in advance for your answer

Hello,
I have a Buick with chassis number: " 4 34 67 1 H " and I would like to know if it's a Stage One 455.

Thank you in advance for your answer
Have you tried asking on the forum "V8 Buick.com"

Last edited:
No it's the first forum where I have ask. I try the forum "V8 Buick.com".
Thanks for the advise
"V8Buick.com" is a more active forum lately.
Many members there can read build numbers from the engines, from the chassis, from the engine bay etc. fire wall and tell you where the car was built and what model and options..
You won't be disappointed..

4 is Division = Buick.
34 is Series = Sportwagon V8 and GS 350, GS455, STG1 and GSX.
67 is Body Style = Skylark Convertible, GS 455 and STG 1 Convertible.
1 is Model Year = last digit of model year 1971
H is Assembly Plant = Flint MI

Since the GS 350, GS 455 and STG 1 convertibles all share the same 43467 vin, there is not enough information given to determine which of these it is.

You cannot tell from the VIN in 1971 whether a car is a Stage1 or not, in fact, 71 cars are the hardest to document. In 1972, there was a letter code for engine in the VIN, K would be a 350, U would be the standard 455, and V was the Stage1 455.

Since the standard valve 455 heads and Stage1 heads have the same casting numbers, you cannot tell a Stage1 from a standard 455 that way. The 2 letter engine code is stamped into the deck between the #5 and #7 spark plugs. The standard 455 is TR, and the Stage1 is TS.

So many of these engines have been replaced due to age and abuse that it is not a good idea to use the two letter engine code to determine anything about originality by itself. There is also a partial vin stamped on the engine that can be used to determine if the engine is original to the car, and then it is a good assumption that the two letter code is accurate in telling the tale of the original engine. Even then, either stamping could be tampered. You really want to find a secondary confirmation to add legitimacy to the stampings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, someone could re stamp the block. Anything is possible. 1971 is the hardest to authenticate. The VIN derivative on the front of the block can tell you if the engine is original or not.

6.JPG

If you find the partial vin there, it is a 73 and newer block according to this: Buick Engine Vin Finder. I have also found information that 71 and newer blocks have the vin stamped there or on the other side or on the deck. The problem with the vin or engine code on the deck is they are often removed when squaring or changing the deck height for better compression. Then it is impossible to tell what it was and anyone with a stamp set can do as they like.

Check your glove box for a Protect-O-Plate in the warranty booklet. It will be a metal plate that has stamped the vin and engine code/engine date code on the other side of the booklet. This will tell you what engine was in you car and then you can confirm it with the stampings if available.

Back