Hello Everybody!

lbrod

I'm new to this forum.... We're located in southern New York State. I just picked up my 1965 Buick GS convertible after 13 years of indoor storage from up-state New York. It really doesn't look anywhere as bad as I expected but still needs some mostly minor work. The tires lost very little air in all those years in storage! It's an all original numbers matching car with S/T two speed automatic transmission and the original white bucket seat upholstery, non air conditioning, chrome red fat bird center cap wheels, power brakes and windows with the console center mounted tachometer. I'm putting in a new fuel tank because I don't want to go through the problems of flushing and cleaning the original tank. I'm pretty much convinced I'm going to remove and rebuild the Carter 3921 S carburetor etc. I'm also thinking about changing to a duel master cylinder brake system from the original single cylinder system and maybe even a more modern steering rather than the "forever" original steering. I hope I can get some information and and help from time to time getting my car back on the road. Anyway, just thought I'd drop by and introduce myself and my Buick.........

Regards,
Len

Reactions: Bob
Congratulations from Long Island on your new old toy. In dealing with downstate traffic i highly recommend a dual master disc brake conversion you'll never regret it. After 15 years the carb rebuild is a must. Replace the tires and every piece of rubber under the hood just for security. It sux popping a 30 or so year old coolant hose in summer traffic and having to get a tow.
If it's never been done you'll also have to rebuild the front end because all the rubber bushings are trashed. Even if they look good as soon as you hit your first pothole they'll crumble. Also the rear suspension bushings should be replaced for the same reason. Your probably going to have to replace the radiator also if it's been sitting with antifreeze in it thats turned to acid. The thermostat is also a must to replace after that much time. The water pump is going to go but you can wait for that as it happens in stages. Brake hoses, and the hard lines should be seriously checked, basic safety. If you're going to do a conversion they will come with the kit just make sure you do the rear also. If doing a conversion the rear wheel Cylinders should be done at the same time as you'll have to juice up the whole system anyway.
Steering boxes are available on line and can get as tight as 11:1 to 1 giving you 2 1/2 turns lock to lock but that upgrade should not be done until the entire front end has been rebuilt as it puts greater strain on the parts than the old lazy one. As I think of more I'll add it. Good Luck.

I'm new to this forum.... We're located in southern New York State. I just picked up my 1965 Buick GS convertible after 13 years of indoor storage from up-state New York. It really doesn't look anywhere as bad as I expected but still needs some mostly minor work. The tires lost very little air in all those years in storage! It's an all original numbers matching car with S/T two speed automatic transmission and the original white bucket seat upholstery, non air conditioning, chrome red fat bird center cap wheels, power brakes and windows with the console center mounted tachometer. I'm putting in a new fuel tank because I don't want to go through the problems of flushing and cleaning the original tank. I'm pretty much convinced I'm going to remove and rebuild the Carter 3921 S carburetor etc. I'm also thinking about changing to a duel master cylinder brake system from the original single cylinder system and maybe even a more modern steering rather than the "forever" original steering. I hope I can get some information and and help from time to time getting my car back on the road. Anyway, just thought I'd drop by and introduce myself and my Buick.........

Regards,
Len
[/QUOTE
Nice going Len! Bill here from White Plains, NY. Just received a 1965 Skylark hardtop yesterday. Car lived in Illinois. Bucket seats with automatic console shifter. LP engine prefix code high-compression 4 barrel, factory air (doubt it's working) and dual exhaust. Front disc conversion (but the brakes aren't working!). Guessing one repaint. It will be a work in progress. Any suggestions on how to tell my wife about it?!

Good Luck!

Bill

Nice! Now the work begins. Just tell your wife it's somebody else's and your just helping... I'm assuming you trailered the car home being as your brakes don't work. What needs to be done to get it to you want it to be? Any pictures? That's my favorite year and also the hardest to get parts for. Good luck and keep us posted on you progress...
Len

Thanks Len! Well...first, it has a front-disc conversion. YAY! The brakes don't work (BOO!). Vacuum booster holds residual vacuum. Don't know if the installer used a bleeding tool in the proportioning valve during the bleeding process and didn't get all the air out. Has an Edelbrock (Carter) carb. Unsure current state of tune/adjustment etc. I'm sure the car did more sitting than driving the past year/103,000 miles. Will have compression checked across the cylinders to see where I am. New alternator and voltage regulator. Will have to double check points, etc. There's a strange mooing sound that goes away when I turn the steering back and forth (?). Gas in the tank is probably questionable.

Go to Millenium Motorcars Yorkville IL website and search by make for Buick. Scroll through and you will find the listing with 61 pics. I added some liquid zinc today and ran it for awhile. Did I mention the battery was dead? LOL! Nice survivor with one repaint. To be continued. Thanks you guys!

Bill

Back