67 GS Convt Top Window Zipper Slider

Shakadula51

The zipper slider on my convt rear plastic window broke in two. It seems to be metal and I have no clue how to find a replacement let alone install it.

The plastic window is in excellent condition as are the teeth the slider so I would like to replace the slider. Any ideas on how to get the correct size?

Attached are 2 pics of the broken zipper. The letters on the zip are YKK.

Thanks

Attachments

• FAC622F7-08AC-48A7-B75D-A370E1427D2A.jpg
    FAC622F7-08AC-48A7-B75D-A370E1427D2A.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DE18265C-3BF2-4735-B452-F566DB504D1C.jpg
    DE18265C-3BF2-4735-B452-F566DB504D1C.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 4
It is a very common zipper slide available at most auto upholstery shops and many leather shops. The trick is installing it on your zipper.
At one end of your zipper, the start end, you will find a small brass "C" zipper stop on each half of the zipper, or a small brass closure with two teeth on each end. Either style can be spread slightly with a diagonal cutter and removed safely. They are small, so put them aside in a safe place so you can reuse them later. Once they are removed, unlatch the front of your convertible top and put a block between the windshield header and the convertible top frame to hold it open and release the tension on your zipper. Then slide the new zipper slide onto both halves of your zipper simultaneously, and close the zipper. Then, using a pliers, reattach the little "C" zipper stops or the small brass closure.
You can now remove the block and close your top.
Take your time. I'm sure you can do this easily.

Back