- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: hei distributor for a 300 ci

hei distributor for a 300 ci

Does anyone know what hei distributor I can use to replace the exhisting points set up in my 66 special

the Buick small blocks from the 215 to the 350 (as well as all of the Buick v6's) all share the same timing cover .... that would imply that they use the same distributor, right?

if that's true, you can also use any BBB HEI, you'll just have to swap the drive gear on the bottom of the distro shaft.

ps - just checked my TA catalog. all Buick small blocks share the same part # but the v6's are different. i don't know why.

but you can definitely gank an HEI off of any 74-81 Buick 350 or a 74-76 Buick 455. with the 455 HEI, you'll have to swap the gear off of your points distributor.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob is quite correct. I have also heard of guys who have purchased and (successfully) installed any number of after market conversion kits that replace the points/condensor set up. They usually go for about $150 to $300 I am told. Maybe just as easyif you want to retain the stock looking distributor cap...?
    Brettsvette
    64 Skylark Sportwagon
    "Buick is a Beauty Too"

It doesn't always work that easily; here's why...

The intake manifold is in the way! Whether you are doing a pre-68 small block (300/340) or a pre-75 v6 you get the same problem.

You must take out the left front intake manifold bolt and then test install the distributor. Sometimes it will drop right in and sometimes you have to grind on the end of the manifold to clear. Then you have to go to the hardware store and get a replacement bolt with a smaller head. I usually just use one that has an allen head and then there are no problems. Sometimes you still have to grind off some of the head to clear the distributor!

The 350 doesn't have this problem because the deck width is wider and the distributor just drops in - even on the older 350's.

Hope this helps!
    I like putting buick engines where they don't belong.

After market electronic ignition for 300cid V8

I installed a Summit electronic igniton kit in in the existing distributor for the 300 in my '64 LeSabre. It includes a reluctor ring that fits under the rotor button and a pickup coil that instals where the points were. Once it's in, it looks stock except for a second wire going to the coil. It cost me about eighty bucks. I've had it in for 3 months and it's working fine. First time poster by the way.

That's good, too, but I'm too cheap!

I already have tons of used parts so I bought the bolt from a hardware store and ground off the intake for clearance. I chose a used 350 HEI from my pile of stuff...

It also worked great and I sold it with the car!
    I like putting buick engines where they don't belong.

Keep your points distributor,absolutely no advantage to a electronic dist, only problems..........

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    the Buick small blocks from the 215 to the 350 (as well as all of the Buick v6's) all share the same timing cover .... that would imply that they use the same distributor, right?

ps - just checked my TA catalog. all Buick small blocks share the same part # but the v6's are different. i don't know why.
    Because the reluctor on the distributor shaft; and the pickup coil, are set up to fire SIX cylinders instead of eight?

Change the pickup coil and the distributor shaft/reluctor as appropriate for the engine it's going into, and they'd interchange.