- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: 62 Exhaust Manifolds

Shane Guest

Red face

I am working on restoring my 62 Buick Special, 215 Alum. V8. I took the exhaust manifolds off the engine and then in the process of removing them from the exhaust pie, I broke 3 off the bolts. I have tried everything to remove the bolts from their home in the exhaust manifold flange. I have heated, used every penetrating oil, ez-out's, anything out there. the only thing that I do not have is an acetylene torch, but this may just melt everything together. I think now I am at the point, where I will just have to get new ones or repos. Any suggestions as to a location for a pair or getting these bolts out? Thanks.

bluewhale13 Guest

Are the bolts broken off down inside of the head or are they sticking up some? If they are down inside the block I would very carefully begin drilling them out slowly. Start with a small bit and work your way up to the correct size. If you have a large drill press I would reccomend using it. If you don't any competent machine shop should be able to help you out. I would not reccomend heating the head. There is a large possibility of annealing the metal and ending up in worse shape than a few broken bolts. Once you have gotten the bolts out I would place helicore inserts into all of the bolt hole in the head including the ones on the intake side. I know this may sound like overkill, but any time I have an opportunity to have the heads off of one of these motors I consider it to be cheap insurance against future problems. [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]

Shane Guest

Thanks for the info. I think that I explained it wrong though. The bolts are not in the haed. Those bolts came out effortlessly. Someone was smart here and put anti-seize on them. The bolts are broken off in the exhaust manifold flange that bolts to the "Y" pipe on the exhaust. Thanks for the info though as I will remember this if one breaks off in the head.

bluewhale13 Guest

If you needed to heat them I would try using a propane torch that is nomally used to sweat pipe together in a plumbing application. I've gone this route on more than one occasion. By using the propane torch vs. a more convetional oxyactelyne you have more control and the heat and it is not as hot. I would check with Cars Inc. for the repo bolts or contact the Buick Farm if you needed NOS bolts.

I'm a long way away here in NC, but if you're not able to save the manifold, I may have an extra besides the ones I want to save. just let us know how you come out.
    Dan