- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 81 Regal swap in a BSB 350 & transmission - objective mild mannered daily driver

Lightbulb 81 Regal swap in a BSB 350 & transmission - objective mild mannered daily driver

Kicking this around a little. Want to my 81 Regal carcass to be all Buick.

It's a SW car Arizona originally and I have no idea what the drive train was. The previous owner brougth it to WI without a drive train. So its a roller with NO rust. One dent to be fixed but otherwise great tub etc. Someone also decided to rust proof it and must have bought a case of the stuff. Engine bay and undercarriage is COATED!!

I wonder what is needed to put in a 350 & BOP transmission. I think I found a couple resources. I have a 350 that needs rebuilding but it is a basket case picked off the floor of an abandoned shop. I also have located a formally running block with intake and accessories (early 70's 2 bbl) that has not been rebuilt yet. I want to do one of these myself. I m leaning toward the latter as it is complete I think.

I also have a rebuilt 350 trasmission that I think is correct and REBUILT (don't know for sure). I need to take a look at some Turbo 350 pics and do some measurements to find out if it fits.

I'm hoping that someone may have a few ideas & maybe some experience.
    Last edited by RegalRiderONE; 10-21-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: More info

post the VIN. a 1981 car will code the original engine.

if it was originally a v8, it probably had a Poncho 265. an original v6 car will be a simpler conversion as the Buick 90 degree v6 is just a shortened version of the SBB 300 ( 300 * 6/8 = 225ci from 1964-71) and punched out to the Buick 350 bore diameter ( 231ci or 3.8L ).

you should be able to fit a 200r4 trans behind that quite easily. all 200r4's have dual pattern bells and many of the Regals from your style years actually came equipped with them.

check what year that 'junk' 350 is. 1968-70 have the high compression factory engines and better heads. 1973 and newer will have the capscrew rods.
    Last edited by bob k. mando; 10-21-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Exclamation Thanks - good ideas.

Bob,

I actually have two 200r4 trannys out at the farm too. I don't know the condition of either. One from a GN rescue and one from a cancerous T Type.. I believe both are BRF tagged? Turbo guys like that valve body? These are the right length to fit behind a SBB 350 maybe?

I do have a VIN (title) somewhere around here if not I can check the car later. I hope it was the V6 - it was a split bench car (my favorite - the lady never wanted to sit on a console) Anyway there were a lot of bench/split bench cars with V6's and later with the 305/307 dogs.

I'll try to get some pics of the ol Regal when I can.

Is the attached pic the block number I look for? And where on the JUNK block - pass or driver side? (yea I may need more help)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RegalRiderONE; 10-22-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: pic?

BRF is the most preferred 200-4R valve body. Also the BRF has a few other different parts in it which help with shift points and such. For information about the transmission I would go to Turbobuick.com. Its probably the best source of information on the internet regarding the 200-4R. Also, the 200-4R is the same length from mating surface to the engine, to transmission mounting location as a Turbo 400. This should make the swap a little easier to do as it increases the aftermarket for you. Good luck with the swap.
    Project car + budget = headache.

'high compression pistons' is what i meant to say.

Is the attached pic the block number I look for?

that's the EIN and it will work.

all we're trying to do is code the year so either that or the 2 letter engine code will do the job. engine code is stamped on the block deck between the #1 and #3 spark plugs. you can see it with out any disassembly but you may have to clean a lot of grime off. also, the letters of the engine code may be widely separated.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

I got a closer look but...

My camera took a break at the wrong time but a couple pics survived.

The Regal's VIN was copied in the dark - last six digits are x'd out as they are just issue numbers if I remember right.

1G4AJ47A2BKxxxxxx
    I think the A in 8th position is 1981 & that is about all I can come up with?

Pics of intake and block that were worth saving attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RegalRiderONE; 11-24-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Double pic deep sixed

1G4AJ47A2BKxxxxxx
    I think the A in 8th position is 1981 & that is about all I can come up with?

nope.

8th position is actually for the engine and codes a 3.8L, which is what we were hoping.

the B is the code for 1981 and K is for the Leeds MO plant.

http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vi.../vincard81.pdf
    Vladimir Lenin

Thumbs up OK BK thanks!

My faulty memory - so the 10th character is the year. Then the code for 3.8 is gives me a head start for a conversion if I got that right. Right?

Question It was cold and windy in the shed

By the time I got around to checking the VIN (in one corner w/no light) and the block (behind some other stuff) I was about frozen to the bones. Anyway can anything be revealed in the pics of the block/intake?

I will take some sand paper and a wire brush along next time to highlight the raised characters in castings. There is a box with the rods, pistons, & fasteners to examine too.

Have a good holiday folks. Thanks for the input.

Stay warm Regalriderone! I recall that the ST300, TH350, Metric 200 and 200r4 are all the same length and use the same size/spline yoke. The TH or ST 400 are slightly longer (short shaft models) and have a larger yoke. The 200r4 requires changes to the crossmember or another crossmember. So your 350 engine and 200r4 transmission are starting to look like a good combination for you.

My Dad has an 81 diesel Regal with a Buick 455/TH 400 combination. It still sports the diesel badges and he has run it in the 13s at the track (the one time I got him to go). It is a fun sleeper. It took quite a bit of work to make it all work, but he is happy.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)