- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotten Running 300. Now what? Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    Make sure the heat riser is not closed/partially closed. This could very well be why it runs better when the engine is cold & with the cooler weather.
    Thanks telriv. Will do. Out of town at the moment and will report back to the forum when I get another chance for a run. Buick2

You might also look for a cracked vacuum line.
    those symptoms were what caused my to find a
    vacuum leak on my Wildcat 445

Quote Originally Posted by WildKitty View Post
    You might also look for a cracked vacuum line.
    those symptoms were what caused my to find a
    vacuum leak on my Wildcat 445

WildKitty,

Thanks for the thought. After checking everything and replacing most everything imaginable, I took off the exhaust manifolds to check out the ports to see what they looked like. Too much carbon. The exhaust pipes were too black also but there was no exhaust smoke. Conclusion was too rich a mixture so I have re-metered the carburetor (Edelbrock) and tried to lean it out a significant amount. Whether that does the trick remains to be seen since I'm in the process of swapping transmissions. Always something.

Oh. I did check the vacuum line as well as all aspects of timing etc.

Thanks again.

Buick2 in Oregon

Too bad ya couldn't have tackled this problem a few years ago; I moved out here from Eugene in 2008.
    I bought my 64 Wildcat (445) out of an estate sale in Calif - it had been garaged for 30 something years.
    I bought the 64 LeSabre (310/300) in Eugene - it had sat under a cedar tree for a good many years.
    Checked all the vitals, added a new battery and drove it home.
    I haven't broken into the 445 - it only had 54K o it when I bought it.
    I've done the top end on the 300, added all new running gear (alt, starter, water pump, MC, and just recently
    added a/c). The engine/trans are detailed with high temp candy apple red & silver (the colors of the new paint
    job). I did all this with the engine on a stand that I made out of a garden trailer. didn't put it back into the
    car till it was purring like a happy cat.
    The Wildcat is pretty much original. a new interior and a kinda spendy paint job. I've added a/c, power brakes,
    a two speed windshield wiper/washer (it was a bare bones 445).
    I gave both cars new windshields and added an electric rear window defroster in the LeSabre. The LeSabre is
    a four door hard top. I ended up putting rear suicide doors on it + electric windows and shaved door handles
    with a remote.
    Each car got new wiring harnesses (something that should be done from start to finish without taking a break) -
    I got pnuemonia in November and lost the momentum on the Wildcat - had to go back and relearn the wiring diagram.

Where's the fuse box on the 62? on the 64s it is on the interior wall next to the emergency brake. I went with
    modern fuses/boxes, so I have the bus fuse boxes - one is in good shape exept the lettering came off when I
    cleaned it up - if it is the same as the 62, I can send it to you. it does have all the pig tails coming off of it. I
    can send you the wiring diagram if you want it.

These early Buicks are a dream to work on. I hope to have both of them on the road before the car shows start
    up around here.

I have a 67 Impala (327) that I'm itching to restore. Each of my girls get a 64 Buick as college graduation presents.
    Butch

Your Buicks etc.

WildKitty,

Thanks for the note. Interesting that you lived here for a while. Not many good old Buicks left on the streets, especially since the Buick dealership went out of business.

I think you wanted the info about fuses and fuse boxes to go to someone else. Check it out. Nice offer, anyway.

Buick2 in OR

YUP, totally confused