- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: Buick 350 heads

Buick 350 heads

I have a 1975 350 in my LeSabre with 1968 heads ! They were on it when I bought it. What does it do for performance ( maybe nothing ) But what would I have set my timing at . ( Haven"t go a clue )
    Any ideas will be gratefulluy recieved,
    Regards,
    Dennis in Australia or Ozz !

A major difference between the 1975 and 1968 engines is compression ratio. The 75 CR is 8.1 and the 68 is 9.0 for the 2 barrel and 10.25 for the 4 barrel. Unfortunately, I don't know how much of that difference was caused by head volume and how much was piston dome. If it is all in the head you would definitely notice a performance difference.

I would start with the stock 75 timing setting, which is 12° BTC at idle (in drive) with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged. Then try driving the car and listen for any detonation once the engine is up to normal operating temperature. Depending on your fuel octane and actual CR, you may need to retard the timing slightly if you do get detonation.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 06-25-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much of that difference was caused by head volume and how much was piston dome.

CR variance for the Buick 350 is due to piston dish. combustion chamber wise, the heads are supposed to be pretty much interchangeable throughout the 1968-1981 production run, excepting certain more modern emissions controls like AIR passages on newer castings.

otoh, i *think* the early Bu350s oiled the rockers the same way the early BBBs did, by feeding oil through block passages into the heads and weeping out of the rocker shafts.

this doesn't really mean anything for old heads on a newer block ( i'm sure it's using the newer "oil through the pushrod" system ). if you tried to use new heads on an old block you'd need to plug the oil passages in the deck or you'd probably get oil into the water system.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Buick 350 Heads

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    A major difference between the 1975 and 1968 engines is compression ratio. The 75 CR is 8.1 and the 68 is 9.0 for the 2 barrel and 10.25 for the 4 barrel. Unfortunately, I don't know how much of that difference was caused by head volume and how much was piston dome. If it is all in the head you would definitely notice a performance difference.

I would start with the stock 75 timing setting, which is 12° BTC at idle (in drive) with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged. Then try driving the car and listen for any detonation once the engine is up to normal operating temperature. Depending on your fuel octane and actual CR, you may need to retard the timing slightly if you do get detonation.

Ray
    Thanks very much Ray I really appreciate it mate
    regards
    Dennis in Ozz

Buick 350m Heads

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't know how much of that difference was caused by head volume and how much was piston dome.

CR variance for the Buick 350 is due to piston dish. combustion chamber wise, the heads are supposed to be pretty much interchangeable throughout the 1968-1981 production run, excepting certain more modern emissions controls like AIR passages on newer castings.

otoh, i *think* the early Bu350s oiled the rockers the same way the early BBBs did, by feeding oil through block passages into the heads and weeping out of the rocker shafts.

this doesn't really mean anything for old heads on a newer block ( i'm sure it's using the newer "oil through the pushrod" system ). if you tried to use new heads on an old block you'd need to plug the oil passages in the deck or you'd probably get oil into the water system.
    Thanks very much Bob
    regards
    Dennis in Ozz.