From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: 1972 Skylark compressor bracket not lining up to intake bolt - any ideas? (pictures)

1972 Skylark compressor bracket not lining up to intake bolt - any ideas? (pictures)

Hi,

I bought this Skylark this way (1972 Convertible - a/c car) - compressor bracket not quite lining up with what appears to be a bolt locaton on the intake manifold. I just had the top end of the engine apart and I tried bending it a little but I can tell there's no way it's reaching without modification.

Does anyone know if these brackets appear correct?

thanks,
    -Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

You don't have your a/c belt on, if you the bolt through the a/c adjusting holes are loose, won't it allow you to slide the bracket over enough to put the bolt in?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

It seems the compressor bracket is fixed and not meant to move even if adjusting the compressor.

Note, what's not obvious in the picture, is that the bracket bolt to intake is off center by about 1/2" and it's about 1/2" above the intake.

The only way I was able to get the a/c bracket to get any way near being able to bolt into the intake is to remove the a/c to alt bracket bolt and move the a/c bracket closer to the intake. (by pushing the bracket and compressor closer to the engine) Doing this permanently would require modification of where the alt bracket bolts to the a/c bracket.

what block is that, on my 455, that bracket would bee upside down..

Quote Originally Posted by WildKitty View Post
    what block is that, on my 455, that bracket would bee upside down..
    This is for a 350 - J engine code I think

The alternator adjustment bracket with the slot in it is a different length on small block cars vs big block cars. It is about the only thing that is not interchangeable bracket wise when changing from one engine size to the other. You will need to find one of the right length or shorten yours.

Thanks. That's good to know about the alternator bracket.

I went to a junkyard yesterday that's known to have old cars. I found a 71 full size Buick with an intact 350. I took all of the accessory brackets since they all lined up nicely. When I take mine apart again I'll compare to see what is different. Is suspect it will be the alternator bracket.

I'll reply here when I find out.