- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: New member, questions about the 340

New member, questions about the 340

Hello,

While looking for a replacement engine for my friend's 69 Cutlass, I came across a buick 340 with transmission. I was very excited to find this engine as I know it was only made for a few years. The original intent was to drop this buick drive train in there so he can drive it while his olds 455 is being rebuilt then perhaps put this 340 on the market for someone who could mate it appropriately to a classic buick.

I have a couple questions that hopefully you gentlemen can help me with.

For starters, should I retain the original transmission and what issues would I have mounting this drivetrain into a 67 olds? I was told the bolt pattern was the same, so I could easily retain the 350 tranny that's already in the car. Is that correct?

Anything I need to know about this motor that's unique to your typical GM small block?

Honestly, I'm pretty excited about this motor and I'm almost afraid to put it in his Cutlass in fear he would blow a somewhat rare motor.

I know it's somewhat sacrelidge to put this buick drivetrain in an old Cutlass, but the price was right and ultimately this block will find it's way back into an old GS or Lark where it belongs. In the meantime, it's a great opportunity that fell into my lap.

Thanks folks,
    gunny

Since it's an oldsmobile motor it would have a BOP bellhousing. So I would think that it should mount up. I've heard people swapping TH350's up to a 340 without issues.

Honestly what do you want to know, because it could be answered several ways?

thanks for the input. Also, do you know who makes the blue-green engine paint for this thing? This thing likely has the original paint and it's severaly rusted out, so I was thinking of touching it up before dropping it in there.

I think the Olds has the starter on driver side? That's backwards from Buick, make sure that's not going to cause a fitment issue if you try to bolt up the 340.

As far as paint goes, I think these guys have it in rattle can

http://www.classicbuicks.com/paint&.htm

Try Bill Hirsch for higher end stuff
    http://www.hirschauto.com/
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)