- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a 340?

What to do with a 340?

So as the title says, I have a 340/4, just not sure what to do with it. It's a 67 "NB" which is the Wildcat 375 as far as I can figure. It came with my 63 Lesabre but was partially torn apart (valve train). I was initially thinking I would build it but got kind of stuck with the lack of available aftermarket parts, or the price of what is available and what I wanted out of it in that huge car. It basically needs an entire valve train (oil starved). The bore, crank and rods are all standard and it had never been rebuilt. Actually as far as the bottom end it is really in excellent condition.

My real question is, is there potential value in this engine for the Buick community? Should I packrat it in a dark corner? Sell it? Is it worth anything? The only real thing I see is if someone wants to upgrade from a 300, or if someone needs a year/engine match for a resto. I would really like to see it put to use, it just won't be by me, at least not anytime soon.

What do you guys think?

Hi,

As far as I know, 340/4 was only availible in 66/67, so it's not the original motor of your car.

Actualy this great engine (for me....) is kind of an orphan, no much parts, no much fans, but as it is, it should make someone happy with as you say, don't turn it as a boat anchor !!!!

A+JC

Yes you are correct, it is a 66/67 only engine. My car originally came with the 401 nailhead... really wish it still had that. No chance of me making a boat anchor out of this, thats why I wanted to see what the consensus would be on here.

I'm sure someone would love to have it, it's a pretty rare motor, put it on the classified section, i'm sure someone is looking for one

I would swap in a Buick 350.
    Sean G
    70 Skylark-Twin turbo 350 powered
    75 Regal-350
    76 Century-350
    78 Skyhawk-V6
    and 18 spare Buick 350s in the barn.

G'Day mate do you have or will you part with the 340 rocker assembly's left ane right with the tower's (complete). I have this same engine in a 67 skylark but iot has a broken tower and is slightly tapperty and pissing me off. Cheers Troy

Troy, wish I could help you out. The top end was oil starved, cam was flat, lifters dished out, rocker tips and valve stems worn down. I don't want to part the thing out yet because I know how hard parts are to find.

Sean... I'm swapping a Vortec 8100. Big car needs a big engine and if I don't have the nailhead I figured I should do something cool.

Greg, not totally ready to sell it just yet. I am curious if there is any actual interest though.

i'd be interested in the 340 if you happened to be traveling towards Salem and wanted to drag it along. i'd give you fair rebuildable core value for it. Bob
    Bob Gibbs

Bob, I actually just listed it on the Bend craigslist. I know I'll be making a trip over that way at some point, be more than happy to pack everything along for a Team Buick member. Contact me through my C/L ad.

340 on Craigslist

just an FYI for ya
    I see your asking 500.00, partially disassembled and not running you will be fortunate to get half that amount. All american in vancouver wants 400 for a complete core and they are notoriously high priced.

http://bend.craigslist.org/pts/2172105567.html
    Bob Gibbs