- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to beef up the 340

Jim,

Do you know when the TA Performance heads will be released for the 340?

What will the performance gains be for this product and how much will it cost?

Thanks.

Don't know, and don't know. The Real Steel heads are currently available, cost $2100 and come with valve covers but not rockers.

JB

Do you know when the TA Performance heads will be released for the 340?

keep an eye on the TA web site or even give them a call. i think they're moving the first set of head castings through machining right now.

this does not necessarily mean that the castings will be on sale within the month or what have you. they still need to iron out all of their CNC programming and QA procedures.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Buick 340 improvements

#1 thing, go with an electronic ignition,
    #2, TA performance makes some good cams
    #3 replace the oil pump housing/timing chain cover with a new one from TA.

if you have the block worked make sure to put threaded oil galley caps in, and loose the "freeze plug type.

I did those mods, and a few others, and in return I have 325 hp. (engine rated at 260 factor)

Sanderson Headers in San Francisco makes headers, and don't forget the dual exhaust. I'f i had those I'd have more power I'm sure.

I definitely have Sanderson Headers on my list and I was thinking of giving TA Performance a call soon.

Which electric ignition set up would you suggest?

Thanks.

Electronic Ignition

I used a junk yard HEI donor, than the Pertronix Flame Thrower ignitor and coil.
    Accell wires and cap.
    you will have to grind down the corner of the intake manifold and possibly the corner of the drivers side cylinder head for clearance.

you also have to run 12 gauge wire from the fuse box to the HEI.
    there is a great site on the step by step, but he does not do this on a 340.
    I did following his "guidance" and managed to do this to two cars with the 340.

The wire that runs from the fuse box to the coil now is resistor wire, you can cut it off and leave it in place, just tape off the ends so it doesn't spark on anything.
    the section that runs to the starter is not needed anymore either.

I just want to say that for anyone looking to get performanca out of a 340 engine.... Get the heads ported, Gessler is one of the best look him up.
    Sean G
    70 Skylark-Twin turbo 350 powered
    75 Regal-350
    76 Century-350
    78 Skyhawk-V6
    and 18 spare Buick 350s in the barn.

Buick 340 Mods

Most certainly, I had my entire engine re worked, and most of the work to the heads.
    hardened seats and new valves to handle the unleaded gas, and ported and polished.

I think an aluminum intake would be great. Not only will it save atleast 30 lbs off the engine, but it could offer a huge improvement with port matching and overall porting of these heads.

Does anyone have any experience with Crower Cams or Isky? Saw some of them listed in one of those large catalogs for the 340.