- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: Engine Stalls

Engine Stalls

I have a 77 Century with Buick 350 engine, 2BBl carb. A great running car with 70,000 miles. The problem--- Fire it up first thing in the morning, choke comes on, and away we go. The car stalls about 30 seconds later when I leave the corner nearest the house. Usually shift to neutral and instant restart, good for the day. Recently had to actually pull over before it would start again. Carb rebuilt a year ago for the same prob. made no difference, Intake manifold gasket replaced at the same time. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance for all help.

Smile 77 Century

it sounds as though your choke pull=off is overadjusted . get a vacuum pump and check the action before you start it . It shouldn't pull it open more than 5/16ths of an inch . It's adjustable so check it out .
    Papa

does it act the same if you don't GO anywhere; ie.. stay in the driveway and just shift into gear???

Another possibility is the accelerator pump - does it stall exactly when you hit the gas (i.e. "bog")? If so, the engine could be leaning out to the point of stalling, but as it warms up this effect will be less noticeable (although still present).

-Bob C.

I'm gonna also throw in a leaky vacuum line - have you checked all the vacuum lines and connections?

however, I did have the same problem with the 445, it was leaking at the accelerator pump - do you have any fuel around the carb?

I think a vacuum guage is priceless. I have one mounted on all of my motors; 310, 445 & 455

Quote Originally Posted by Century View Post
    I have a 77 Century with Buick 350 engine, 2BBl carb. A great running car with 70,000 miles. The problem--- Fire it up first thing in the morning, choke comes on, and away we go. The car stalls about 30 seconds later when I leave the corner nearest the house. Usually shift to neutral and instant restart, good for the day. Recently had to actually pull over before it would start again. Carb rebuilt a year ago for the same prob. made no difference, Intake manifold gasket replaced at the same time. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance for all help.
    Need one of these?

1971 Buick Skylark GS GSX Divorced Choke pulloff "GASKET"
    LINK: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280485242887&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_2597wt_1165

Was under the hood the other day and discovered that when the carb was rebuilt the shop plugged several lines. Going to sort through this and try again. Thanks for the tips. I'll let you all know what shows up.

What timing are you running? Slightly advancing the timing may help. But I suspect that the choke is opening fully too early. If you had a vacuum problem it would probably , not just at that particulare time.cause problems all the time.
    Last edited by exfarmer; 04-08-2010 at 09:30 AM.