- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: 300 2barrel help

300 2barrel help

I have a 66' Skylark with 300ci 2 barrel. I just did a tune up on the engine, but the stock air cleaner is not getting enough air to the carb so the motor is running rich and I already fouled a set of plugs. I know its not the filter itself because i just put a brand new K&N on it. I plan on puting a new air cleaner on it though, but I was wondering if anyone suggested something particular. I though about puting a forced air cleaner on it kinda like a ram air because they sell a kit from poston. Also, I am not to farmiliar with the rochester carb and I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is an adjustment on the carb to help lean it out. Im not sure if this carb has that adjustment. I also have a side question, does the rover 215 manifold work on the 300?
    66' Skylark- Shaved and Custom
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2490336

I don't think the air cleaner is going to make the motor run noticably rich unless it is caked in dirt.

Perhaps you should look at two easy things. Is the choke working properly. Watch it through a warm up cycle and then rev the engine a couple of times to ensure it is halfway stable.

Look at your timing. If it is not advancing properly your motor will run rich.

Here's a basic bit to help: http://www.teambuick.com/reference/engine_timing.php

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I also have a side question, does the rover 215 manifold work on the 300?

the 300 is a taller deck block than the 215 so the intakes aren't a direct swap. i have heard of people making spacer plates and adapting them though.

also, Rover took the design up to 5L. i don't know if they raised the deck on those blocks but the runners are probably larger which would be better for your significantly increased displacement over the 215 / 3.5L
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Rover and Buick 300

I have a 64 Buick with a 300 and have explored different options with Rover V8 because there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts out there. The only thing I have done so far is put a set of polished rover v8 valve covers on my car.

As far as I know, 300 heads will fit on a rover v8 with the help of some spacers to adapt the 215 manifold. I've seen it done on some British MGs with Rover V8s. I would assume this would also mean you could put the 215 manifold on the 300 with the same spacers.

The only thing I would warn about is the configuration of the manifold. Make sure it has all the fittings and things you'll need for the ancillaries. Not sure what the outlet diameter for the radiator hose is, but it might be different than the 300 radiator. Finding a hose with different diameter ends might be difficult.

Also, I think the 215 has a lifter valley cover/manifold where the two are separate. This might require some custom work to fabricate the lifter valley tray.

I've always wanted to try to put a rover fuel injection system on my Skylark using a 215 Rover manifold. It would be cool However, I always come to the conclusion that it is a lot of work and in the end not worth it. Your 2 barrel needs more than a new air cleaner, I would check the idle circuit, choke, and timing before I gave up.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by skylark64; 03-14-2009 at 10:04 PM.

I wouldn't mind making a spacer plate, but the only thing is the port sizes are smaller on the 215 intake. Does anyone have any suggestions for going about that?

As far as my motor running rich, I am going to do a check on the choke and timing to see if that will help but that air cleaner I had on it was very constricting as far as air flow and I saw a massive difference when I took it off. Off course I didn't leave it off, I was checking to see the difference. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment on that carb to lean it out?
    66' Skylark- Shaved and Custom
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2490336

You can lean it with a jet and/or metering rod replacement like most carbs. About the only way it could be the problem you are describing is if someone has been messing with it. You can find the info you want in the reference section, library, 1966 chassis manual.

If your timing is advanceing properly (the new K&N should eliminate that question) then check the jet sizes and rods against the one that are supposed to be in it. If they are correct then I would leave them until the worst of the problem is solved. You shouldn't need more than one or two sizes smaller.

What is the vaccum on the motor? If you haven't checked that do it.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

The stock air cleaner will NOT restrict air flow enough to make the car run rich. After all it has been used for 40+yrs. Look elsewhere for your problem. As for using the 215 manifold it WILL restrict your air flow as the runners are smaller than the 300's.