- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Carb help

Need Carb help

I am not a carb guy. I know nothing about them but I just got this car for free and want to get it running. I need help identifying where some of these fuel lines a vaccum lines goes. heres pictures...

Anything else anybody sees missing let me know. I thought there was supposed springs on it somewhere also?

Smile

Hi,

The white plastic thing is the choke unloader and the pipe with the stick in it is probably the one to fit. The other pipe is probably for the distributor advance. The unloader pipe should have a solid vacuum when the engine is running and the distibutor pipe the vacuum varies with revs.
    Hope this helps.

Art

Thanks for the help,

So The line with the stick goes to the white cap, then where does the "distributor advance" line go? It was just plugged into the end of the threaded bolt for the throttle cable. That didn't seem right.
    One other question, when I pull back on the throttle cable, the butterfly valve doesn't open with it. Is there supposed to be a spring on that valve arm to open it with the throttle cable arm?

Kensgs

Hi,

If you are talking about the choke butterfly on the top of the carb the throttle has nothing to do with that. That is the choke and will open a little when the car starts, then open all the way when the car warms up (Hopefully). The hose with the stick in it is supposed to go to the choke pull-off (white plastic thing) , as the other gentleman said. Curious as to why it is plugged unless the pull-off is broken and leaking vacuum. If it is broken I would just disconnect the little rod going to the choke butterfly (little spring clip on the fuel line side) and keep the stick in the hose, or maybe find something a little more efficient for the time being. The choke should now open up all the way and hopefully the car will start okay without it. You may need to keep your foot on the gas for a while until the engin warms up a little.
    It looks like the vacuum hose to the distributor advance is hooked up. Follow it out of the bottom of the carb to check. I would just plug the other one coming out of the bottom of the carb and start it up. I would recommend you check/change the oil first though. The engine looks like it has been sitting a while. Plus, how old is the gas? Spark plugs, points?
    Good luck...Ken

Wow, great help, thanks.
    The car probably hasn't run in 20 years. It was last registered in 1989. It might have been started and run since then but who knows. I recieved the car from a widow I work with for free and she knew little about the car. I did check the oil and it was fresh, the plugs were clean, and I didn't check the points but that will be next. I am not using the factory tank right now, I am running a hose from the fuel pump to a gas can. The stock tank is rusted to hell and empty anyways. I'll buy a new tank before I hook up to it and add fuel.

The Pix are great, but You have to know Excatly the model and number of the carb you are working with.
    There are so many models and variations during this time period along with transmission option, that make even the most perfect photos cannot properly identify exactly what type of carb you have
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Take the number off the carb and go to any decent auto parts store and they can either order a kit for it or just buy a rebuilt one for it. As for the vacuum lines, one will go to the distributor spark advance dashpot (this line should have minimal vacuum at idle and get progressively more with RPM). If you bog the throttle the vacuum should go down (retard the timing) and then build back up with increased RPM. This can be easily ascertained with a vacuum guage once the engine is running. Y not chunk the original manifold and carb and go for an aluminum with Edlebrock four barrel? The othe vacuum that will likely be in back will go to the modulator valve on the trans if is an automtic and has one while another will go to the automatic choke pull off dashpot.

Hope this helps.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jalinc View Post
    Y not chunk the original manifold and carb and go for an aluminum with Edlebrock four barrel? The othe vacuum that will likely be in back will go to the modulator valve on the trans if is an automtic and has one while another will go to the automatic choke pull off dashpot.
    Thanks John,

I'm a little confused though, you're saying the hose with the stick in it goes to the transmission and not the white cap thing? If so, what goes to the white thing?

I'm not going 4 barrel because I'm trying to keep it original. The car is just going to be a weekend cruiser, not a track *****. I don't know if it needs rebuild or not yet, I haven't hooked it up to fuel yet until I get all the loose ends hooked up. I'm just trying to get an answer on what goes where. I did oil it up and cranked it over yesterday, cranked right over and sounded good.

Smile

Hi Again,

I still think the pipe with the stick goes to the white plastic thing but I've been thinking and the other line will go to the air cleaner for the warm air flap valve.

Art

:sigh: I really wish someone with a 350 2 barrel would go look what they have hooked to what. I think I'll just plug everything and see if it starts.