From the Reference Section:
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 215,300, 340
- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: New here!! quick question about 350?!?!

New here!! quick question about 350?!?!

Hey guys im new here just wanted to say hi and that i have a question for you guys. I just bought a 84 Regal Limited ill post pics soon as i can!.. Anywho it has bone stock 350 V8 in it with only 80,051 orginal miles!! I want to turbo charge it, i was wondering what would be the easisest way to do that? Could i use 83 T type turbo mainifold or do i have to make my own? Also what would be the best way to make power!?!? Websites, parts? Thanks guys!
    Last edited by inmy84; 11-21-2007 at 07:43 PM.

I just bought a 84 Regal Limited

if the Regal has the original motor, that's a Chevy or Olds 350. the last Buick v8 produced was the 1981 350.

is the distributor at the front of the engine or next to the firewall? the Buick distro's are at the front while all of the other GM brands had theirs next to the firewall.

Could i use 83 T type turbo mainifold

the T type uses a Buick v6 engine. there's no way to make a v6 intake work on a v8 engine, even if you have a Buick 350 in your car for some reason.

I want to turbo charge it, i was wondering what would be the easisest way to do that?

guys turbo charge SBC's all the time.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

ok what comes in the 1984 Limited Regal?? The distributor is by the fire wall i think last time i looked?... and what is a sbc??
    Last edited by inmy84; 11-21-2007 at 07:46 PM.
    No its not a T-Type or a GS.............. Its just a Regal Limited................. i promise..............

scb = small block chevy

As far as for what engine you have, im guessing its one of 3 engine, a 3.8l series one, a 305, or a 350. good news is if its the 3.8, you shouldnt have to much trouble using engine parts from a GN, as long as if its a series one. If its a series two 3800 your kinda out of luck, there are not a lot of performance parts made for those, most stuff needs to be custom. The series 3 are built pretty good for superchargers, but im sure you dont have one of those. My guess if its a 6, its a series one. With a 305, they make some good parts for the chevy version, but not to many for the olds 305. With a 350, you can find parts for any type as far as performance goes...chevy is probibly the easiest though. First thing to check to see what kind you got if you dont want to VIN decode, or think it might not be the original engine, check how many spark plugs you got. after that you should be able to look on intake manifold, i *THINK* most early carbed 350s said 350 on the manifold.

Now as bob pointed out, buick is the only engines with the distributer in the front, if its in the back you still have to figure out if its chevy, or oldsmobile.

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

So how would you figure out if its a series one or not?? Thanks for helpping me out guys im not to good and im new when it comes to cars like this im a old import guy so you have to excuse me! Im use to fuel injection and more modern import cars pref turbo, and nitrious charged hondas! Ill get the vin # up soon as i write it down! I figure if its too hard to turbo charge then ill prob just thow a hidden 70 shot on it.... is that motor cool to thow a 70 on it with out it blowing up!! the car only has 80,055 on it so! I bought it for 450 bucks!!
    Last edited by inmy84; 11-22-2007 at 09:31 AM.
    No its not a T-Type or a GS.............. Its just a Regal Limited................. i promise..............

i honestly would never throw any no2 on a engine that isnt built for it. Theres always a risk of blowing something up.

If it is the stock motor in your car, you def have a series one. Series two started in 1988 i believe. depending on how nice the body on this car is, as well as the frame, you may want to look into directly transplanting parts from a Ttype or a GN in there, drive train i should say. Even if you wanted to keep the engine you have you can rebuild it strong (even though the onlything harder to break then a buick 3.8 in my opinion is the 2.5 iron duke )

but a GN tranny and rear will give you plenty to work with and can be come by pretty cheap at swap meets and what not.

sounds like you got a fun project on your hands, best way to learn is to dive in, (thats how i had to learn about your damn hondas and these new-fang-dangled computer systems and what not ) worst part is i grew up all around the imports, and never bothered to learn them, we had a saying in school after we would whip an import... " theres no replacement for displacement"

-jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

So how would you figure out if its a series one or not??

sorry, it's not a question you have to worry about. unless you're looking for a replacement engine.

i reference what you said in your previous reply:
    The distributor is by the fire wall i think last time i looked?

the Buick v6 engines are all based off of the SBB ( Small Block Buick ) v8 design, just with two cylinders lopped off. it doesn't matter whether your engine is a v6 or v8 it cannot be a Buick Design as all Buick v8's ( excluding Nailheads, and they haven't been produced since 1966 ) and v6's have the distributor at the front.

as long as you keep that in mind, Jeff is making good suggestions.

is that motor cool to thow a 70 on it with out it blowing up!! the car only has 80,055 on it so!

[shrugs]
    as with any 20 year old equipment, yaz takes your chances if'n ya don't at least do a refreshen on it before you start thrashing.

buick is the only engines with the distributer in the front

not exactly correct and not quite what i said. the Buick v8 is the only 350 cubic inch engine made by GM with the distributor at the front. almost all of the Cadillac v8's are also designed this way ... but they never made a 350ci displacement.

if you ignore the GM requirement there are many designs with a front mounted distributor. among them are the AMC mid-block, Chrysler/Dodge big(?) block, Ford small block and British Leyland/Land Rover small block aluminum v8. i don't believe any of them made a 350ci either.....

none of which helps out inmy84, i'm just noting it for reference.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

well thanks guys ill be posting pics up today so you can get a overall look at the engine and body and things of that sort thanks agian! Also i found a cheap Edelbrock 600 carb w/manual choke for 50 bucks! I was wondering if that would fit my 305 in my regal??

Oh one more question..... if i was to thow some No2 on it what would be a safe shot just to get a little more ummmmpp out of it?!?!
    Last edited by inmy84; 11-26-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inmy84 View Post
    well thanks guys ill be posting pics up today so you can get a overall look at the engine and body and things of that sort thanks agian! Also i found a cheap Edelbrock 600 carb w/manual choke for 50 bucks! I was wondering if that would fit my 305 in my regal??

Oh one more question..... if i was to thow some No2 on it what would be a safe shot just to get a little more ummmmpp out of it?!?!
    Dangerous stuff man, the use of any NOS should be accompanied by many engine mods and reinforcements...
    And the collection continues...
    1991 Century - JUICD 91
    1971 Skylark - COZY 71
    1964 LeSabre - LACED 64