- Buick 300/340 Casting Numbers
- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech

Thread: 215 engine pulley question.

215 engine pulley question.

Hi all. This is my first time on Team Buick - and it won`t be my last. I have a question about the engine pulleys on a 1963 FM code 215.
    My engine was missing the water pump pulley when I got it. Probably removed when engine was yanked. I just bought a pulley on EBay - along with other 215 parts - so that I could eventually start the engine. However, the crank pulley does not line up with the water pump pulley by about 1/2 inch. Almost like there should be two separate V-belts. Both the crank and water pump pulleys are single groove. The alternator mount (no alternator) on the lower right side of the engine has provisions for belt adjustment. Looks like no power steering was installed. What am I missing here? I' m assuming that only a single belt was used on this engine. Is the water pump pulley the wrong one?
    Thanks in advance. Bob Larkin

215 pulley

The waterpump pulley on my 215 measures 2in. Ido not have power steering. Hope this helps.

on a 1963 FM code 215

'FM' code? was this an Olds or Pontiac application? there's a 'KM' Buick code for this year and Buick was using 'F' to designate the 1963 model year for the block codes.

how many bolts hold your valve covers on? 4 bolt covers would be a Buick or Pontiac, 5 bolts is an Olds.

However, the crank pulley does not line up with the water pump pulley by about 1/2 inch.

is there any possibility of spacing the water pump pulley out or is it already to far forward?

keep in mind, an alternative possible source for parts would be the 1965-80 Land Rover version of the Buick 215.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

215 engine pulley question

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've since put an old Chevy alternator on the engine and the crankshaft pulley looks like it lines up just fine. I also measured the waterpump pulley face to back and get 1 3/4 inches. I must have the wrong pulley, but all of the other parts I got on EBay are definitely 215. Guess I'll just keep looking. Also, my engine code is JM not FM as I originally stated. Makes this a 1963 2bbl buick. Yup, 4 bolt valve covers. This engine will be my winter project when the New England weather gets down right nasty. Got the whole powertrain, aircleaner to driveshaft yoke. But no water pump pulley!
    Thanks again. BOB LARKIN

I think I figured it out. It looks like there are two different water pumps for the 215. Either with or without A/C. The difference is that the shaft length of the non-A/C pump is longer. Therefore the pulley for the A/C equipped engine must be shorter in order to line up with the crankshaft and alternator. So what I have is an A/C pulley which won't line up when fitted to a regular water pump. If I can't find the correct pulley, I'll have to install an A/C water pump. Can anybody out there confirm this, or am I all wet.
    Thanks in advance.

i can't verify your specific waterpump issue but i will say that we have the same issue with 455 waterpumps. although, with the 455 it has more to do with whether or not the engine is pre or post 71.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

215 Water Pump Pulley

A/C cars came with 3 core radiator and used a "short shaft" water pump and pulley. Non A/C cars came with 2 core radiator and used a "long shaft" water pump and pulley. Difference is about 5/8".

DougB