- 215 sports car and Indy racing
    - Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340??

340??

Hello, my name is Kyle, I am a new owner of a 66 Buick Le Sabre. I was wanting to know some information on the 340 and my car, it was previously owned by my parents which have given it to me and im wanting to restore it.

Kyle
    Last edited by kylethekilla; 03-02-2007 at 04:08 PM.

???

could you be a little more specific?

bore/stroke?

factory ratings?

aftermarket parts?

what are you looking for and what do you actually intend to do?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Bob K --340 intake and carb ?

Bob K or other buick guys
    I have a 340 with a 4bbl intake and AFB carb
    do you know of any 4bbl aftermarket intakes for the 340 ?
    if not, any idea if I can use an aftermarket carb on the stock intake
    ie edelbrock performer AFB style or holley ?

do you know of any 4bbl aftermarket intakes for the 340 ?

the Buick 340 has even less aftermarket support than the Buick 350. that is to say, practically everything you'll try to get for it has to actually be purposed to something else like the 231v6 or Rover v8.

you could attempt to adapt a Rover intake but the deck height on a Rover is only 8.960" while the 340 is 10.150" so you'd have to fit some pretty thick spacers in there. i'm also not certain the 215ci Rover runners would have enough cross section to feed a 340.

i've heard the pre-92 Dodge's are pretty close to are Buicks but i'm sure there'd be BUTT-loads of work adapting those.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Hey Glen To my knowledge there were no aftermarket intakes for the 340. I used a edelbrock on my 67 340 with factory 4bbl intake. I had to change the carb due to no kick down linkage on the carter. I used about 1/2 in of thermal plates and had to grind a small casting lug down to fit. I have since gone to Holley FI. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Warden; 03-11-2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: missed item in post

I have the same situation. I was given my 67 buick lesabre 400 by my grandfather. Back in the 80's he had the carb. replaced, but the one that was put on sits higher and now the intake hits the insulation under the hood. I would like to find the right type of carb. to put on that car. Its all original with 67,000 miles on it, garage kept all its life. The carb. on it now works fine and it still runs and rides good (even with bias-ply tires still on it)

Bigtrey
    i would presume you're just looking for a vanilla quadrajet. i know the smaller ones used on the big blocks were rated at 750cfm, i'm not sure if the 340 used a smaller one yet or not.
    Vladimir Lenin

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    Bigtrey
    i would presume you're just looking for a vanilla quadrajet. i know the smaller ones used on the big blocks were rated at 750cfm, i'm not sure if the 340 used a smaller one yet or not.
    sorry bob k. mando,no q-jet onn the 340,afb only btw,no aftermarket intakes
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by kylethekilla View Post
    Hello, my name is Kyle, I am a new owner of a 66 Buick Le Sabre. I was wanting to know some information on the 340 and my car, it was previously owned by my parents which have given it to me and im wanting to restore it.

Kyle
    if its the 400 package(not motor size)its the switch-pitch trans not a bad cari had one
    JAMIE MCCLINTON
    STARTER/ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR REBUILDER SINCE 1979
    selling buick mini starters & alternators
    startncharge@rocketmail.com
    65 Special convertible
    69 Special Deluxe
    Lost to garage fire:
    69 cali GS
    72 Suncoupe

Quote Originally Posted by 65specialconvert View Post
    if its the 400 package(not motor size)its the switch-pitch trans not a bad cari had one

Yea it is the 400 package with the 3 speed trans instead of 2speed. Thats about all I can find out about that package. Finding information online about this type of car has been a challenge. If anyone knows anything more about please let me know.