- Affordable Aluminum V-8's
- Buick 215 Engine Specifications
- Buick 300, 340 Engine Specifications
- How To Hot Rod Any Engine – Engine Tech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Asap!

OLe JIM Guest

Help Asap!

WEll Guys I asked? for HELP! a few days AGO--& after Receiving NO! Replies as an Ole Guy I assume?? most members are? strickly drivers & Not Tinkers? I stopped & had a coffee & when I left & attempted to start my Ole 88 Buick Century upon turning the Ign KEY! I heard a sharp Bang--& even though I turned over Good--it was Odd? as it Sounded as though there was NO Compression?-like the Spark plugs had been Removed--its jumped its TIMMING!--So I tore it down & installed a new Timming Set-both Gears & a new timming chain--tried starting it-Same Deal--& upon checking? an Ole parts Man looked UP my 2.8 & it has Three differant Timming Sets & they GO by a Code in the VIN #--more Searching--so I got the Vin # & the Correct timming set? & Again installed it--Same Deal--I Did get it Running--but--its no where near Right?--has to be reved up High & w/ NO Power?--I Dono? I personally as an Ole Guy can*t even IMAGINE???? any One? designing an Engine thats Electronically Controlled that has to have {Three} differant Timminng Sets in order to Run Properly? & Physically in my tare Down--I observed a common material Defect--I was Sure was My Problem?--as theres a metal Guide covered w/ a hard Plastic--a V shaped Guide that stabilizes the Chain--& a piece of Plastic Had Broked Off--& I assumed? It Fell between the bottom of the Chain & the Bottom Grear!--cuasing it to Jump its Timming?--as Common Scense would dictate? Materially thats the Problem?--& after re-Checking evry thing several Times!--I know! its the Correct Timming Set & its Installed Corrrectly--I have tested the Coil Pack & all the Sencers & the Wireiing--fuel system--& Ignition--every things OK so here I AM--I have worked on It every minute over the entire week End & I*M still NO-Where! I have bought & installed all THREE timming Sets & Still Nothing?--so I*M at the Cross Roads! of the Ole Buicks life Span--as like most Vehicles! One has to Figure in Its VALUE! & Ole Now Low Value Vehicle-- so I have a Decission to Make!--Keep tinkering on IT?-- or remove all the New Parts? & Return Them & Get My Money Back!--& Say Good Bye! to the Ole Buick & remove all I can thats Good & CRUSH It-- as several Good Mechanics have NO Idea? of what? the Problem Is?? & as an OLe Guy I now Know! the Engineers & Design People Are NOT manufacturing Vehicles to Be More Effeicient as they like US to Beleive! their Actually manufacturing HiTec vehicles so the Average back yard Mechanic Can NOT re-pair Them--PERIOD!--& in Chatting w/ mechanics in the Work Force Today! I*M Told that ALL the New Vehicles are So Hi Tec & Computerized that the Dealers themselves Can NOT Re-pair Some! & I have noticed another TREND!--caused by the ABOVE!--the General Public is being Forced to BUY NEW!--Vehicles Under WARRANTEE--& When the Warrantees EXPIRE! they have To TRADE! Simpley because they Can*t AFFORD the Cost of LABOR to have them Re-paired!--& NOW! they have Really Done them selves IN--as They have Finally FLOODED the Vehicle Market with MORE NEW Vehicles than there are PEOPLE to BUY them!--& at Prices that Homes used to Cost just a few years Ago!--Now I*LL get OFF my Soap Box!--I Dono? about all of YOU?-but ME! I*M gonna Build ME an Ole Simple Vehicle! with NO Computerized any Thing! & right NOW the Ole Chevys are looking pretty Good to ME! as I Know I can really make them GO! --Ole JIM--

Jim,
    Plenty of mechs on here Jim. Both shade tree and pro. I am sorry no-one has answered you! Heck I just read your post as I just got back in town from a trip this weekend (wish I could have been home workin' on my car). I don't have any advice as I own a 56' Roadie and do not have the knowledge of your 88' to be of any help .
    I hear ya about cars today I try to buy older cars even as my daily drivers just for the simple fact that I can fix em' on the side of the road without breaking the bank. Take a deep breath and I am sure someone will chime in.....chin up.
    Dale
    The difficulty is not solving the problem. The difficulty is determining the correct problem to solve!

I also don't know enough about your "new" car to be of any help but I can share your frustration of not finding any help. I work on my old cars but just gave up and take the new stuff to the dealer. ( And I used to teach auto mechanics to high school seniors )
    Jim Carmichael 55 Buick Special & 65 Buick Riviera GS

Jim your 2.8 broke the timming chain and probably has bent intake valves . You will need to do a compression check and report back . Sorry for the late reply . HTH
    Guyopel
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

See Jim I told ya.....great group here
    Dale
    The difficulty is not solving the problem. The difficulty is determining the correct problem to solve!

OLe JIM Guest

Need HELP ASAP!

I have been working on it for several days in the RAIN--but--I don*t mind that!--I*M known here as a Perfectionist? & not knowing the 2.8 had three differant timming sets! & having installed all Three! & still have the Problem!--I*LL do a Com Check! & if? it is Bent Valves?--as Now that You have mentioned It! it does spin over like theres NO Plugsi It! & seeing I bought another 2.8 that the Body was Rusted Bad--just in CASE?--I*LL look for a winter Beater & install the other Good ONE--as I got It RUNNING as I stated--but--I have to Throttle it UP to keep it Running! & Its got NO Power to speak of--proving Your never too OLD to Learn some thing NEW! so this Week End the COM Check! & THANKS GUYS as I*LL keep You Posted!--Ole JIM--

So lets make this story alittle shorter..easier for me to understand...You went ot start it..then a LOUD noise.would start but no power and didn't want to stay running.replaced the timing gear set..still same problem.sound about right?
    Check your compression...like was stated could be a bent valve as I don't think these models had the anti rollback feature so the valves would hit the tops of the piston and bend the valves.Have you tried pulling the valve cover and watching as it's turned over?watch ALL the rocker arms...just a hunch I have but need to have you watch the rockers while it's turning over and let us know what you see.Make sure they all travel the same and in the proper order.
    Let us know what happens.Good luck...I'm sure everyone will keep watching this one.

Cool

IF THE VALVES ARNT BENT CHECK THE TIMMING COULD BE A TOOTH OFF
    Spanky

OLe JIM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    So lets make this story alittle shorter..easier for me to understand...You went ot start it..then a LOUD noise.would start but no power and didn't want to stay running.replaced the timing gear set..still same problem.sound about right?
    Check your compression...like was stated could be a bent valve as I don't think these models had the anti rollback feature so the valves would hit the tops of the piston and bend the valves.Have you tried pulling the valve cover and watching as it's turned over?watch ALL the rocker arms...just a hunch I have but need to have you watch the rockers while it's turning over and let us know what you see.Make sure they all travel the same and in the proper order.
    Let us know what happens.Good luck...I'm sure everyone will keep watching this one.
    YES! I removed the Front valve cover & watched the Rockers! as I was Checking for a Broken Cam? NOPE thier all working on that Side--as the BANG was Louder than I have ever Experanced in the Timming area! so I Figured?? may Be? the Cam Broke?? NOPE as the Rockers are Normal? OH I*LL get it Fixed as Figuring out what the Problem Is?? is a Chalange! as the Things that Really Bother ME? are the Things I can*t DO any thing About!--To ME re-moving the Heads & haing them Re-Done? of NEW Heads? what Ever? She will Get E*M NO Sweat!-Ole JIM--

help asap

Quote Originally Posted by OLe JIM View Post
    YES! I removed the Front valve cover & watched the Rockers! as I was Checking for a Broken Cam? NOPE thier all working on that Side--as the BANG was Louder than I have ever Experanced in the Timming area! so I Figured?? may Be? the Cam Broke?? NOPE as the Rockers are Normal? OH I*LL get it Fixed as Figuring out what the Problem Is?? is a Chalange! as the Things that Really Bother ME? are the Things I can*t DO any thing About!--To ME re-moving the Heads & haing them Re-Done? of NEW Heads? what Ever? She will Get E*M NO Sweat!-Ole JIM--
    Just wondering how this worked out.

Keith