1962 Skylark Compressor - Bearing/clutch

Hi all, I have a 1962 Skylark with factory air conditioning. Way back when the compressor made noise so someone cut its belt. Now that I bought the car I was hoping someone had some insight on a rebuild for the unit. I am hoping to replace the bearing and clutch to get the original system working again. If I replace the compressor all together whatever freeon is still in the system will be gone and ill need to make the switch to R-134A. Thanks in advance.

If the hub part that the belt drives turns free then your compressor is more than likely lock up and will need to be replaced . HTH
John

From what I understand, the compressor can be taen off without disconnecting the lines. If I truly can do this ill try to rebuild it, with a new bearing .... if it dosent work ill have to do the changeover to 134-A. If its at all possible I want to keep the original factory unit

rebuild what you have. I have had bad experience with rebuilders. You would have to have a rebuilder that has a very high good reputation. Don't forget you have 1962, parts aren't available. How many rebuilders are familiar with 1962 compressor?

I work in Automotive, I will tell you some people could careless for specs. or correct adjustment/alignment.

Do it yourself.

Back