- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: 1969 Skylark points gapping and dwell

Lark Guest

Question

Having recently dragged a 1969 Skylark to Canada from California, the first thing she needed was a serious tune-up. I am new to "Non-HEI", and i'm not exactly sure how to set the point gap and dwell for my new beast.

I have a dwell tester, and have the specs. for that year and engine. Just wanna get it right.

350 cu. in. 4bbl
    [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]

using a dwell meter is the right way to set point gap.

hook up your dwell meter
    start engine
    using an allen key through the distributor door, turn adjusting screw until you get about 30 degrees of dwell.

Always check dwell then timeing. Dwell alters timeing. If the dwell is not consistent the timing will move.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Lark Guest

thanks for the speedy reply. How do I adjust the timing again ? I have a timing light.

To set the timing, you hook up your timing light to the number one cylinder and battery and aim it at the timing tab. With the motor at idle, you should be getting a strobe effect. Then you will look for the line, or mark that is on the harmonic balancer. It should show up somehere on your timing tab when the strobe flashes as the number 1 piston is firing.

You will want to loosen your distributor at the base of the stem. Then you will rotate it one way to advance and the other way to retard. I am not sure on that motor which way is which, but you will be able to tell based on where the balancer mark shows up on your timing tab. Hope that helps.
    Good Luck
    62 Invicta with 70,000 original miles. Dual exhaust otherwise stock. Blast to drive.