- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Newbie with a 430

Newbie with a 430

Hi guys, I just bought a '67 Riviera, and all I know about Buick engines is the straight-8. The 430 engine runs bad, and sounds like it's got a flat lobe. The car was just unloaded from a sea container (USA->Finland), and I could barely drive it home. In case the engine needs an overhaul, where should I look for parts (stock or performance)? What would you suggest to replace the stock points distributor? I've heard the oiling system is the Achilles' heel of this engine, but what is about, and what can be done to improve it?

Cool Could be this

Had a similar problem with a 64 Skylark in 1990. Drove it to the shipping port in Philadelphia and when the car got to Australia, failed to start. Cost me a new starter motor and hours of diagnosis.

problem was a failed timing gear as the nylon outer coating had perished as well as a broken rocker arm.

Whether the guy loading the container decided to run it cold to 5 zillion RPM when shifting it, I will never, never know. We had just completed over 5,500 miles in it before we shipped it back so should have been a turn key and go.

hope this helps in some way.
    kind regards
    Rodney

congratulations on your Riviera. But sad to hear of the issues.
    Do a compression test and check all of your rockers first. That is easy and doesn't cost much.
    If you do a rebuild, there are many options for parts and components. For performance, you can use TA Performance parts.

The oil passage modifications require drilling out the passages to allow for more flow. Volume is more important than pressure for Buicks.

For Distibutor, I use a factory Buick 455 electronic distributor in one car, and an MSD Billet in the other. Both work well.

If you need a great Quadrajet, that's where I can help the most!
    86 GN, all factory options, engine build in progress
    72 Skylark Convertible, 462, TH 400
    72 GSX Clone 464, TH400, 3:42. 10.71 @126mph best

We build GM carburetors and specialize in custom built Quadrajets

www.quadrajetpower.com
    mark@quadrajetpower.com

Jyrki,

You may like this OE modification from the reference section:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...ibutor_buildup

Although, I am considering going back to a dual point plate on the 455 I am building

I am working on an oil mod. page, but I probably won't have it up until later this year...

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks for the tips! I just ckecked the plugs and they are all white (running lean). The rockers look fine, but when I pulled the shafts off, there's grey oil gushing from the two centermost pedestals, both banks the same. Apparently the color comes from "metallica" in the oil. I'm not sure where the oil holes are going. I'm going to check blowby tomorrow

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.ph...nd-Oiling-mods

The 430 oils the valve train through passages in the block and head. The 455 oils through the lifters and push rods.

You cannot read plugs by color. Unleaded fuel will not color the plugs. Before you do anything, give the engine a tune up. Check the point dwell, and then the timing (in that order).
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

There are the Performance Distributors offered through the link on the page. I did a Crane modification to my original which I documented here: http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...ibutor_buildup

Although, I am currently building a 455 which I am probably going back to points on. It will be a dual point setup probably again on bearings.

Otherwise, I am disjointed to say the only other thing currently available is the cam button here:
    http://www.teambuick.com/forums/cont...338-Cam-Button

I have purchase several kit from Falcon Global: Buick 455 Engine Kits

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!