- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: help can overheating case lifters to fail ????

help can overheating case lifters to fail ????

i just over heated my 455 new rebuilt 700 mi on it i think the thermostat stuck i was driving back from my fends shop and got about 8 blocks and stem came poring out my hood pulled to the side opened hood just to see the over flow top blew off i have a large 4 core aluminum radiator in it electric fan. it was not a hot day. at trends shop no sound of over heating when i left and seen the stem my temp Gage spiked toed it home left it 2 days then filled the coolant cheeked the oil started it up oil psi was ok but there was a loud knocking in motor like bad lifter????? shot it down right away scratched my head then grabbed the crank and it spun just like before what do you think. what can i do pull valve covers check lifters ?it almost sounded like the torque converter was lose but that wood be to strange to happen. what could have happened besides a spun Bering is that even possible if i can spin motor by hand what to do first drain oil look for metal flakes? cheek lifters for slop???? ps the fan kicked on just after i saw the stem the probe is in radiator not motor i know i need to move it to motor so all comments welcome except about my spelling thanks ruddog

Check for coolant and metal in the oil. A head gasket leak can let coolant into the oil. Coolant is hard on bearings and the bearings will beak down quickly with coolant in the oil. Pull the dipstick and look for a milky substance on it.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

over heated

the oil is ok and the colent when i filled it back up did not see oil floating

Did you drain the oil and watch for coolant to be at the bottom? Also see if there are bubbles in the coolant overflow tank when it is running. Throw the thermostat in a pot of boiling water and see if it opens.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

i went out and opened my hood and filled the radiator i had to put the top of the over flow back on it blew the top of of it not the cap the hole lid put a full thing of colent in and 1/2 of water puled dip stick and oil looks good colent has no oil floating on top of it

i did that it worked properly but i relapsed it anyway

over heating problem

i found it it was the converter strange ??after overheating i started it up and herd the banging. i jumped at it being a lifter but new it was not fast clacking. later i figured it mite be the converter. (hoped it was not a main being) OK now i have about 42 psi on the oil psi in port right above filter but don't see hardly no oil when looking in the fill hole cant see the top of lifters and im on the drivers side inset that the farthest port from the pump should i see a Little river of oil flowing past the fill hole