- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: any tips on 68 430 going into a 67 buick special?

any tips on 68 430 going into a 67 buick special?

ok so i have the 68 430 motor and th400 trans together that will be going into my 1967 buick special today... (hopefully) i already have the tp performance headers and differnt motor mounts any tips or tricks on putting it in ??????

unless you have the short tail housing TH-400 you're probably going to have to shorten the drive shaft.

you need a different fan shroud. the SBB and BBB locate the fan at different heights.

on my 455s, there are three different engine mount holes. the engine mounts only actually use two holes. this allows you to set the engine forwards or backwards. the closer the engine is to the firewall ( using the front two holes ), the better the car will handle because you're taking weight off of the nose of the car and making weight distribution more neutral. so, if possible, i would recommend using the front two holes even if that means you have to have the drive shaft shortened.

it's a bit late in the game now, but unless this car is going to see a lot of time on the strip i'd recommend a 200r4 over a TH-400.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

yes to late haha... but yea i was planning on the shaft having to be shortened anyway. and i will need to re look at the mounts to see what exactly you are talking about i just got home from getting more parts, thanks for the help.. also i thought i remember reading that i should install the motor with the headers on or i may not be able to fit them after is this true or no?

Have you checked the oil pan? all the 430's came in big cars, you will need a rear sump pan and pickup tube.
    headers are tricky - lay them in the engine compartment and put the engine ine with them in there. if they are bolted on there is no way.
    on a 67 there may be some clearance issues...prepare for modifications or make it easy on yourself and use the stock iron manifolds!
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Two more things will I need to plug the oil holes in the block or will my 455 heads do that for me?

And I'd like to get a new fuel sending unit and I'm not sure what to get.. should I get one for my car and year or the year and motor size?

fuel sending unit reading ( E .... F ) would be tied to the size and shape of the fuel tank. so, engine size is irrelevant.

blocking off the block passages never hurts but i think i've heard people say you can just use a 455 gasket with the head.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)