From the Reference Section:
- Musclecar Enthusiast March 06 - the Jim Burek 350 porting article
- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just bought a 1972 Skylark that needs tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    If it were mine, I would want to make certain that the stock carb was bad before replacing it. Besides, I'm not sure that the Holley will bolt to your stock manifold without an adaptor.

Ray
    Ill check out the carb. I'm pretty sure the Holley would be a direct fit. I'll look into It more though.

Well, let me qualify my original statement. I was assuming that you were talking about one of the Holley "performance" 2 barrels, and those have a Ford bolt pattern, which is wider than a Rochester. Holley also made direct replacement 2 barrel carbs for a few GM applications, and of course one of those would work without needing an adaptor.

Just measure the bolt pattern on both carbs before you lay down your money and you will know for sure.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 11-13-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raycow View Post
    Well, let me qualify my original statement. I was assuming that you were talking about one of the Holley "performance" 2 barrels, and those have a Ford bolt pattern, which is wider than a Rochester. Holley also made direct replacement 2 barrel carbs for a few GM applications, and of course one of those would work without needing an adaptor.

Just measure the bolt pattern on both carbs before you lay down your money and you will know for sure.

Ray
    i found it online. But i e-mailed the website to check if its a direct fit.

First off congrats on buying a buick and welcome to the family!!! When I bought my 72 I had pretty much had the same problems with the idle. I changed the filter (mine was all dried rotted) and had a carb. rebuild. I still run the 2 barrel carb and now runs great. Rebuild the carb. can be a little tricky so I would do some research on it. A rebuild kit does not cost much at all either and considering your age (close to me, I am 21) and just bought the car your budget is probably a little tight. I am sure you just want to drive your new car. So my advice is to do a good general tune up including grease, change oil and filter, pcv filter, spark plugs and do a carb rebuild. So basically so you can drive it and then down the road you can improve the 350 as you drive your car.

Good luck!

Jake

I also vote for the accelerator pump.

These were originally leather from the factory, and should be replaced. Once they dry out (if the car sat for a while), they seldom work right again.

A carb rebuild kit is probably easy to get (although it would have to be ordered, probably not on the shelf at most parts stores) and should include a new pump. It will drive much better.

-Bob C.

the plug wires can also cause problems once they get old.

but yeah, i'm on board with the carb rebuild.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)