- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 430 carb advice

pretty well. there are of course some major differences and the jump from small to big block... V8's unfortunatly are not that common in the uk and many people are afraid of them ...

not me though...

almost got it stripped right down. then its over to my CMM to check all the tollerances.. then its a big parts order list and rebuild.

can anyone reccomend some good headers ?

G'Day Mate, I just rebuilt one of these power plant's over here and after doing some homework found that the stock headers or 455 were the best for a CAR. The balancer bolt need's to be 200fp's (So it say's in the referance section i don't know why just assume it has something to do with the toque/rpm). I used a standerd q-jet witch are quite common out here at 800cfm. goggle (holden 308 v8) the linkage was slightley differant but it worked for me. Rebuit a 430 with 455 stage 1 head's, 455 inlet,q-jet. I stuck to the referance page and when it turns over it is nice and tight. I got a lot of stuff from northen Auto Part's (801 Lewis Blvd Sioux City,IA 51105,E-Mail northenautoparts.com) Good Qulitiy Good price very good on shipping. Hope this help's. I can send you some pic's of the rebuild if your keen. Cheers Troy

i would love to see some pics of the rebuild

im building my shopping list now if i pop it on here will people be able to tell me if i have made any glaring errors or if stuff will just not fit ?

G'Day mate, I will nee to e-mail the rest of the pic's to you as it wont allowe me to add any more pic's. Cheers Troy

Question

Quote Originally Posted by troys67skylark View Post
    G'Day mate, I will nee to e-mail the rest of the pic's to you as it wont allowe me to add any more pic's. Cheers Troy
    thanks for the pictures thats a really nice colour youve chosen for the block.

im having the devils own luck location some of the parts though.

flex plate
    valve stem seals...
    valve retaining collets...
    Harmonic balancer (would like a new one as the old one is original and therefore 40 years old) this is proving REALLY hard to find

the hardened pads on the face of the rocker arms are a little worn and i would like to replace them ... are they available ?

if thery are not am i loocking at new rockers if so what should i be looking at ? rollers ?

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bigfinger; 03-24-2011 at 08:00 AM.

G'Day, I had my balancer rebuilt, The valve stem seals i got in a full gaskit kit and the collets i already had on the engine. Part's are very eazy to get on e-bay or northen auto parts. Cheers Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would say that it would be nearly impossible it improve on the Quadra Jet carb that would have come on the engine. Except for maybe a later model Q-Jet that came on the later 455's. I doubt that there are any new stock harmonic dampers available. Having yours rebuilt or an aftermarket race one are going to be your only options. Your best bet for the parts you are looking for is to call TA performance. If it's available, they probably have it or can get it. Good luck.

Edelbrock Performer

I'm using an 800cfm Performer with elec choke on a bored 430 with a 268 comp cam and I like it to haul my 68 Rivi. Had to run an adapter plate for the old iron manifold which adds an inch in height.

thats what ive gone for in the end ... the 800 performer...