- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to work on the Buick

Time to work on the Buick

Hi Guys,

Well It's cold out now and car shows are over for the year, So I need to see whats going on with the Buick. I have a 1970 GS 455
    That has chattering lifters time to take a look, Here is what I have so far.

Off with the valve covers this morning, First time into the engine. Here are some pics of drivers side head, Nothing broken yet.

Lots of leaves to get to now, I'll be back with more updats.

Leo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NORTHSTAR; 11-07-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Nice car! I want one

Good clean looking engine.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

OK, Passenger side valve cover off still seems ok nothing wrong yet. Disconnecting fuel line throttle cable and hose's next, Then off with the intake. Do I need to drain any antifreeze before I get to the Hoses??
    Last edited by NORTHSTAR; 11-07-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Doh, Cheap socket. Well its almost time for the Patriots game so will stop for now, Busted this socket taking off intake bolts. Got all but three bolts so the saga continues.
    Last edited by NORTHSTAR; 11-10-2010 at 06:33 PM.

I always take a propane torch to the area or the bolt before I attempt to remove it. Make sure you take all necessary precautions to remove gas containing items to a safe distance away.
    Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

I'm a fraidie cat with a torch, Got all but three of the bolts loose so I'll just get another socket. Wife would think I'm nuts under the hood of my GS with a Flame of some sort, Not for the car or my sake but for the thought of the garage catching Fire.

Leo
    Last edited by NORTHSTAR; 11-07-2010 at 12:58 PM.

nice looking GS,

I have a 1939 Buick I am working on now but I always Liked the GS and Skylark body style.
    Thanks
    Mike

1939 Buick Model 41
    Email: Michael@msomusic.com
    Web: www.msomusic.com
    AKA Mike 2000

Yes you should get a drain pan and drop the coolant out of it before you pull the intake. Use the petcock on the radiator or pull the bottom hose. This will keep coolant from getting into the crankcase from the water passages that run from the head to the intake. I can see absolutely no reason to ever use a torch on this type of bolt to get it loose. Yes they are tight, but with proper tools they will come right out. You would need to get to the part of the bolt that is screwed into the head for heat to be of any assistance and with the intake still on the car, that ain't never gonna happen. Heating the head of the bolt will be of absolutely no use. You will need a torque wrench to properly re install the intake. Swapping a set of lifters in this engine should be a piece of cake. You should be able to do this without pulling the distributor, I would remove the cap and wires though. And get ready for some creative use of a prybar as these intakes sometimes are stuck down real good. I hope that solves your noise problem.

Thanks for the kind words, Got this car in June ended up being only 12 min from my house. So far matching number tranny and rear end. Still looking to verify engine numbers nothing I can see between sparkplugs on head but should find it soon.

Leo

You don't heat the head of the bolt. You heat the surrounding area to cause expansion then contraction of the area and the bolt. No nothing catches fire if you are alert. The propane flame is a controlled and directed flame. It is the best way to get bolts loose. I bought a hose extension that is about 4 feet long. The can stays on the floor. The head controls the off and on as well. It is very nimble and safe. A pry bar is a broken studs best friend.
    Last edited by BornBuick; 11-08-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "