- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 455 id

455 id

I just "re-acquired" a '73 455 out of Electra that I'd sold a couple of years ago. Problem is that the VIN went to the crusher with the car and if I remember correctly, I need the VIN to ID the engine code. I'm trying to determine if it's a 225, 255, 260, or 270 hp without remembering the VIN or if it was single or dual exhaust. Will the castings help? Thanks!

Head to the Refence section and look under Identification, you'll find what you want!

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I did before I'd posted. Perhaps I did not dig far enough... one reference said it could'nt be done w/o the VIN. I'll keep digging. Thanks!

Go to: "Buick Engine Identification", then "Buick Engine Identification, by the numbers", then "Where to find the numbers! "

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

This is posted in the reference section: "On models from 1972 through 80, the fifth character of the VIN provides engine identification. This character appears on the dash VIN plate, but not on the engine itself."

I do not see any numbers or letters on the block in the place listed for the earlier 455's.

I do not see any numbers or letters on the block in the place listed for the earlier 455's.

you're saying you can't find the EIN or two letter production code stamping?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

455 id

That is correct... I do not see anything stamped in the locations noted on the block.

I do not see anything stamped in the locations noted on the block.

the block may have been decked ( which will take the numbers off ) of they may be coverend in paint or grime. clean it thoroughly.

i have heard that if the block has been decked, you may be able to bring the old stampings back with a mild acid wash. the stamp stressings are supposed to affect how the acid etches the surface of the block.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

if it was an original electra engine, didnt they only put one type (horsepower) in them? did they have a performance model electra? i know u could get single or dual exhaust, but the engine vin stay the same for both. my 455 came out of a 74 electra, it says 455 on the block so i assumed it was rated as all the other electra 455's of that year? idk am i wrong?

if it was an original electra engine, didnt they only put one type (horsepower) in them?

you are correct.

it's always best to get the two letter Engine code though. make sure the seller didn't mistake which year or model he got the engine out of.
    Vladimir Lenin