- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 455 intake manifold

Smile 455 intake manifold

Hi guys

I am looking for advice on what intake manifold to use on my car the non original motor is a 73-74 455 with what I will call a flat smogger looking intake. and a Therma-quad carb . motor is stock, what aftermarket intake should I use. . I may keep the Therma-quad or go with the correct Q-jet so I can have an electric choke.
    I run a Q-jet on my corvair and added an electric choke and have been very happy with it on some cool mornings.

I also will install headers but not sure what to use there as well , is there a brand that works best with the Buick 455.

thanks

Al

First of all, we need to know a bit more. Why are you replacing the intake? More performance?

Typically the intake should be part of a "system" that works synergistically. If you are gonna do mostly street driving, then a dual-plane would fit the bill. Racing? A single plane. Gonna eventually go to fuel injection? Single plane. Gonna go for 7500 RPM? Maybe an SP-X.

Tell us more about what you're gonna do with the motor.

-Bob C.

OK

Yes I would like a little bit more performance out of it. it has HEI ignition now but needs new cap, rotor , wires plugs and probably coil.
    it will be mostly street driven but will see some track time

as for the motor . for next summer it will stay for the most part the way it is aside from the parts I mentioned. I have many other items to attend to and want to have some fun with it. then maybe after running it at the track a few times I will look into what I can do to it or replace it with a correct one from 71 .
    I am new to all this Buick stuff, so I am learning and deciding along the way.

Hi Guys

Just checkin in , any other advice . I will use it all.

Thanks

Al

Basically, I would suggest that a split plenum dual plane manifold is a safe performance upgrade for any streetable engine. I have a repro B4B Edelbrock which I am happy with. Click Here

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!