- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68 430 in 67 special

68 430 in 67 special

Hey so i am planning on putting a 68 430 into my 67 special will i have clearance issues? I plan on getting headers also the ta supercomp, should i go with the 67 for the body or the year of my heads, i have i believe 69 455 stage one heads.

I have just gone through a bit of a header issue with a '67...

The headers from T/A will only fit if you change your steering and cut relief into the passenger side frame...

Headers from Poston will fit, but only because you will be using a Special so you will be buying engine mounts that mount your engine 1" closer to the firewall. If you have an original GS400 you will have to cut relief into the passenfer side frame.

The easy option is to just use shorties.

I ended up using my manifold again for now.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

ok yea i will probly just go with the shorty then, also what is the deal with 455 stage 1 heads on a 430 what oil changing would i have to do?

i just saw that the competition headers from ta performance says they will fit my year of the special is that true or would i still have to do some modding?

If you really want a set, I will sell you mine. I spent a day modifying the drivers side so that it would clear the steering. You will still have to cut a relief into the engine crossmember on the drivers side. $200.00 + $25.00 shipping.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

but you said that the ta shortys will work with no effort? would there be really and performance change?

Quote Originally Posted by 67buickss View Post
    ok yea i will probly just go with the shorty then, also what is the deal with 455 stage 1 heads on a 430 what oil changing would i have to do?

There is no point in doing that stage 1 head add on as the smaller 430 bore is a bottleneck. You are better off having rthe 430 heads worked for max flow by a Buick pro. This will also keep you from having to adjust for the differnt oiling mechanism.

Sorry, when you said "competition", I assumed they were full length headers.

the 455 stage 1 heads i already have i dont have 430 heads is there a performance difference? or is it just the oil problem.

i was talking about the full length but i was also wondering if i would have to do anything if instead i got the shortys

Quote Originally Posted by 67buickss View Post
    the 455 stage 1 heads i already have i dont have 430 heads is there a performance difference? or is it just the oil problem.

Are you boring the 430 to 455? If not the 430's bore will shroud the stage 1 size valves and your engine will not perform as intended. Also without a sonic check verification, it may not be a candidate for the overbore.

The valve train oiling mechanism for 455 heads is not the same as for 430 heads. The oiling mechanism changed between the 69 model year and the 70 model.