- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 70 455

70 455

is it correct that a 70 455 code number SF has 10 to 1 compression?

If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

keep in mind that this is the factory static compression rating so it's likely to be a bit, how you say, "optimistic".

factor in the small cam and your dynamic compression will be far less.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

compression ratio for cam selection

how much less? when trying to select a cam, what number should i use?
    i am looking at taperformance, cam numbers TA290H TA298H & TA290-08HL. i am trying to make this car beat an ex-employer of mine. since i was laid off, they have been real unfriendly.
    i know i am looking at more than just the cam, just want to know if one of these cams will really wake up the 455. idle quality is not important.
    please help
    thanks
    jener

seriously, i would call TA or Crane or Comp or somebody and explain what you're doing. most of them have 800 numbers, so the advice would be free.

there really aren't that many people doing what you're doing ( long term 3,500 to 5,500rpm service ) so i don't know how much good advice you're going to find.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by jener View Post
    is it correct that a 70 455 code number SF has 10 to 1 compression?
    They usually came in the high 9s although rated at 10 or 10.25 to 1 in 70. The power limitation is in the heads and the exhaust. So often too large of a cam will slow a car down of the street. So head work or the TA Al heads are the key. Headers might be worth 20-25 hp and TA aluminum heads might be worth 60hp. A ignition advance recurve is a cheap performance improvement. Maybe the single cheapest.