- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: barn find 455 w/ atm trans attached ID.

barn find 455 w/ atm trans attached ID.

just got a wonderful barn find i was looking on this site for ID info i think its a 455 w/atm still atached pos a 73 has air pump and all that goes with it it is a nice looking motor. numbers in rear of block on top. 455 in large # then below is 1241735 also a big #4 buy its self. am i in the rightplace can some one help me with this. whats its worth? is any one interested. iam not real computer savy so please bear with me btw. trans #tag 73-bc-130769. 16-d 353 their are some other # but its had to get down on ground to look.

i realize that you have no idea if this runs or not but can you find out if it at least spins? if it's locked up solid it would be worth a couple hundred at most as it would require a total rebuild.

the two letter engine code stamping would be the simplest and most straightforward way of identifying this. look between the #1 and #3 spark plugs on the face of the deck. wire brushing / gas might be required to clean of oil and grime.

where to find the stamping
    http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference...ent_where.html

stamping decoded
    http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference...ent_63_75.html
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

thanks for quick reply. cant get back with those other # as i had another project today. but motor is complete with ps pump/ alt/ ac comp/ 4brl carb/ air pump/ and all brakets. did notice all spark plugs were loose. thinking my buddy might have put oil in cyl. he has passed several years ago. and he bought these motors from junk yards to have back ups for his jet boats. i got this buick and 4 olds 455 and one 351 windsor and i need crank out of one olds motor for a 69 442 rebuild. the rest are going. cant see him buying these at the time about 25 years ago not knowing if they run.

cant see him buying these at the time about 25 years ago not knowing if they run.

but that has little bearing on their condition today.

i wouldn't try to fire any of these motors up without checking the oil, pulling the plugs out and just spinning them on the starters for a while (if you can even turn the cranks by hand ... of course, don't try the starter if you can't turn the block using a socket on the harmonic balancer nut). even if he oiled them down for storage prep, that's going to have washed off the cyl walls by now.

probably ought to pull the plugs, spray in wd-40 or marvel mystery oil or something a let them sit overnight before you do anything else.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)