- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 455 Buick 55 Chevy

ttypeturbo Guest

455 Buick 55 Chevy

Hi gang,

I’m new to the forum but have been around hotrods all of my middle aged life. I have a 55 Chevy 2 door post that I am about to disassemble and begin sanding and sand blasting. I have searched the archives concerning this subject and the web but couldn’t find any info. I have a choice of 3 engines for this car
    that I could use, an aluminum head 383, an iron head 454 or a ’70 455/370 Buick Electra engine that is standard bore and sitting on my garage floor. I’ve tried the 454 in a 55 Chevy before but I didn’t like the way that it fit or drove with the extra size and weight. I plan to remove the front end next weekend and
    do a mock installation with the 455 and a 3 speed turbo 200 that I have laying around. I believe that the engine mounts on the 455 are a little further forward than the Chevy. I’m also going to be researching which overdrive would be best suited for this application, the 200R4, 700, 4LE60 or the 4LE80. I’ve
    owned several GNs in the past and have had pretty good luck with the 200R4. Any info or links concerning the 455 swap would be appreciated or any comments or suggestions.
    Thanks!

only peice of info i can think might help, as i havn't worked on a project like yours, is that the 455 block weighs about 100 lbs less than the 454 block.... so if that may help ur decision....

The Buick motor is definately lighter, no question. In fact it weighs just a bit more than the small-block Chevy, and if you put an aluminum intake then you'll be pretty much equal.

There are a few downsides to the Buick block. First, if you plan on exceeding about 600HP, the Buick block will have to be reinforced. It can certainly be done, but you're looking at about an extra $1000 for a girdle and installation (but quite frankly at that level you'll probably be blowing up a whole bunch of transmissions). Also, Buick engines are a bit more expensive to rebuild. Every aftermarket company makes 454 parts, but 455 parts have fewer suppliers. The lower quantities make parts a bit more expensive.

Having said that, for my dollar there is no better way to spend your money on a Buick motor. There are many factors about the design that make the engine a dream to drive- the torque comes in very low, which is right where you want it for driving and cruising. With an OD transmission, there are many Buick guys that claim 17-18 MPG or better (I have gotten 20 MPG when I used to have a smaller cam).

With regards to the transmission, the 4L80-E is theoretically usable but I haven't heard of anyone hook one to a 455. Some people have used the 200-4R and it has worked out well- if you plan on driving it hard, however, be aware that the 455 can generate a lot of torque and you'll have to get the transmission built up for it (I consider the 455 to be a torque motor, not a HP motor). My approach has been to use a tall rearend ratio (2.56) with a TH400- the 455 has plenty of tire-spinning torque, so a 2.56 will still allow me to launch hard...

If the 455 motor is ready to install and run now, without being rebuilt, there is no question it would be my (somewhat biased) top choice.

-Bob Cunningham

ttypeturbo Guest

455 Buick 55 Chevy

Bob,

Thanks for the info. 400-500 HP would be the most that I would be looking for so I believe that the block would be safe. I plan to mock it up soon and I'll post the results of how it looks as far as fit.

Sounds like the perfect application for a big block buick! Keep us posted!

-Bob C.

OLe JIM Guest

455 Buick 55 Chevy

I read this Article & I*M installing a Buick Diesel in a 32 Ford pu Hot Rod! as a retired Trucker I thought? seeing I have the Diesel bodies Short-Rusted bad--I*D use it instead of a Big Block Gas Job--as theres a million of E*M out there All ready! I Am Sorry as I don*t desire to Steal the Thread--as I need INFO--I thought? a Buick Diesel Powered 32 Ford Hot Rod Pick Up would be Diffinaty Differant!--as I have had the 32 Hot Rod pick Up since High School--early 50s--as its Chopped & Channeled w/ a Zed frame--& a 3-1/2 Inch Dropped Frant Axle--very Low--as attending Shows I wanna See the Other Hot Rodders as they Hear my Diesel Knocking! & the Stacks belching Black Smoke! I*M Not bilding a Tire Burner just a Nice Crusier-- & I*M a Liitle Guy!--so Driving a Radical Chop & Channeled Hot Rod is NO problem for ME!--Nice & Cozy! Not Cramped Up! Wife even likes It! & I can USE All the Help I can GET? THANKS Ole JIM & LINDA

ttypeturbo Guest

Smile

...and I thought that I was doing something different. I've never seen this one done before so I would venture to say that there's not going to be much help on this one. The only thing that I can suggest is to go the route that I'm going. Drop it in for mock up and see what it's going to take. Buick makes a diesel????

buick diesel

well to be honest ive thought about that myself, but then i get kinda carried away sometimes too. no, i understand where u are coming from. it wud be a scene to pull into the drive,in on cruise nite. rev it up a bit for that 'kenworth' sound, just idle it around to hear that diesel 'knock and clatter'.[the 'buick diesel' is actually the oldsmobile diesel from yore,] they were installed in late 70,s, big chevy, olds, buick, and pontiac station wagons, big series cars. It shudnt be,too hard to swap cuz its based on the olds 350 block. It wud get great mileage with tall gears or OD. ohh and with twin chromed 'tall stacks' behind the cab!! and them little 'stackcaps' flappin up and down. ooh there i go again ggggg but it wud be fun

55 chevy/buick

My son had a 55 chevy utility sedan, and i tried to talk to him about putting in a 455 buick engine. I knew he wanted a big block, and the were easy to find for rebuilds. If you look into some of the muscle car write ups you will find that those buicks where something to be reckoned with, not for the ultimate top time muscle but for everyday driver who with a little amount of hopping up, make some really good running buick powered cars. sadly that 55, while sitting at a intersection, got rearended by a not so awake guy in a toyota!