- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: Aluminium Radiators!

Aluminium Radiators!

I am considering the purchase of an aluminum rad for my '67 GS400.

Who has aluminum rads, why did you decide on them, and why did you decide on the brand you chose?

Did the rad solve the problems you were hoping to solve?
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

BeCool is still the standard for me. Only alum. ones ive ever bought, and only ones i will ever buy. Was wonderful on my 85 ford bronco with a 351W and holly fuel injection system. Used it at the circle track, and was still able to drive it half across northern IL and back every time. Planning on getting one for my 455 soon as i finish and install it.

Theres a couple other brands out, but i still like BeCool the best.

Hopfully you find what your looking for
    -jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

Aluminium rad sources:

Mac's Radiators, Mac's catalog Their catalogue shows a nice variety of catch cans!

Be Cool My rad would be a 60164 rated for 350 hp without fans

Alumitech reproduction rads

Just thinking out loud...
    Last edited by rcull; 06-15-2006 at 08:35 PM.
    If you would llike to place an image of your car in your signature, click here for instructions
    WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Personaly I am opposed to aluminum radiators.

Granted they do have slightly better heat conductivity and are a few ounces lighter, but the fact that they can't be repaired is a major downer for me.

A few years ago I bought a very high quality aluminum radiator from a well-known Buick vendor (about $400 on sale). It worked for about 3 years, then started to leak. Since the tubes are held into the core with Epoxy, there was no way to repair this leak.

Admittedly part of the reason for the leak was probably the fact that I had the motor in & out about a dozen times in those 3 years, so it was handled. I also had an electric fan hung from the radiator.

Nevertheless, it's copper/brass for me.

(BTW I had a custom 5-core radiator made up for just a few dollars more than the aluminum, it can cool a freight train).

-Bob Cunningham

I agree with the repair aspect. I had a rad fellow suggest that really repairs to all aluminium rads should be rare because they are "all" aluminium getting past the difference in expansion rates.