- Ancient mid 12's secrets for your Buick *350*
- Poston Camshafts, Buick 350
    - 350 casting Numbers
- Buick 350 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
- 350 Engine Specifications

Thread: HELP!!! 350 Timing Chain Cover

682door Guest

Unhappy HELP!!! 350 Timing Chain Cover

I have 68 LeSabre with the original 350 4bbl. I am replacing the timing chain cover because I was having oil pressure problems in the summer at hot idle even with a new oil pump kit installed. I purchased a new timing chain cover on the internet and after I bolted everything up, the distributer would not go back in unless the cover was pulled about 1/16 of an inch out from the block. I figured this is due to a machining error so I would like to locate a NOS timing chain cover which is probably hard to find seeing how easy it is to wear one of these things out. I am using the same distributor and the camshaft sprocket has not been removed in the repair. Could anyone help me locate a NOS cover, the number on the old cover is 1385199 but if any of you have had luck with a supplier of new covers I am interested. I just want a timing cover that fits so I can get it back on the road. Thanks. Adam Baker

Taperformance.com has new timing covers for you, they are aftermarket though, they are on page 73 of the PDF catalog

Good luck
    -jeff-
    68 Skylark 455
    70 Volkwagen Bus Type II
    88 Riviera
    06 Mustang V6
    06 Dodge Charger R/T
    07 Yamaha Vstar Custom

682door Guest
    Thanks, I'll check it out!!

Taperformance.com has new timing covers for you

new improved castings and VERY NICE ... but they have a price to match.

you can swap in a timing cover from any buick small block, 215 / 300 / 340 or 350 so if you're willing to take some time you might could find a junk yard unit.

have you tried a heavier weight oil? Rotella 20-50 is very good but 15-40 is much more common.

you're not running a Fram filter are you? put a Wix or Napa filter on.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

682door Guest
    I tried 20W-50 and it worked well for a few months but after a long car trip on a cruise the light flickered a couple of times at the off ramp at a stop light. I have been using AC Delco filters on it but the oil pump housing has quite a bit of wear on it. I'm trying the junkyard unit that looks pretty good. We'll see how that works.

682door Guest

Works OK but...

I installed the junkyard unit and everything seems to work fine, it fired right up and I have good oil pressure with 10W-40 but there is a small leak around one of the bolts attaching the oil pump cover. I have tried replacing the gasket again and retightening all of the bolds but is still drips out. Is it ok to use gasket sealer on the oil pump gasket or should I try to resurface the gasket mating surfaces? Have any of you had this issue?